Forums

Help › Forums

Improved Legend Irons and Other Thoughts After 2 Weeks

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 12 2010 12:06 AM (5 replies)
  • cyl6
    347 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:40 AM

So I've had a chance to play the game now for 2 weeks after what I'll just call "The Update."  While I disagree with the whole concept of leveling (and wrote a long post about it here http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/21102/121140.aspx#121140), I am definitely enjoying the challenge of playing from the back tees and the tournament greens.  I remember before The Update being frustrated if I didn't shoot 27 or 28 for 9 holes; now I smile happily at a 31 or 32 and that definitely ups the realism for me.

I've seen a lot of forum posts suggesting that WGT needs a new Legend driver. I don't necessarily disagree with that, although I think the SuperTri is sufficient. If there was a new driver released, I think it's rated distance should be between 285 and 290. I say that because despite the fact that I started over a year ago as a hack and worked my way up, my current avg driving distance is 281.  Realistically, I think with the SuperTri, I avg closer to 290-295 on drives. Obviously wind, terrain, and the course play a big deal in determining drive length, but if something rated for 285-290 would probably produce a drive that carries closer to 300-315 on a regular basis. That's somewhat in line with a decent hitting PGA pro.

Anyway, the real thing that I believe needs to be added is a new set of Legend Irons and Wedges.  Right now, the best iron set available is the i15, and sadly, it's rated distances are not all that different from what I hit in real life (and I'm a 9 or 10 hcp).  As we all know, PGA tour pros are not hitting 5 irons 190 yards; for some players, that's probably a 7 iron or a big 8 iron.

With the added distance on the Legend tees and tournament/championship greens, what we need are irons that have added loft yet more distance in order to hold the greens. I have no problem playing a 500 yd par 4, but if I hit a 290 yd drive, I should be able to hit something like a 5 iron 210 and come down somewhat softly. In that spirit, here's what I would suggest as distances for Legend clubs.

Driver: 287

3wd: 245

5wd: 233

3i: 230

4i: 220

5i: 210

6i: 200

7i: 190

8i: 175

9i: 160

PW: 145

Then allow players some additional wedge options to mix and match in the area between 50 and 145 yds. I'd probably have a 52 degree wedge at 125, a 54 degree at 100, and maybe a 60 degree wedge at 80. This would have the added benefit of making players exhibit additional touch inside of 145 yds; right now you can almost always hit a shot close to full with a wedge (either full or punch).

Those are my thoughts. If this ever comes to fruition, I would hope it's available on a Tier-based and not Level-based basis. Again, I reiterate that I don't think it makes any sense (from a fairness and/or financial perspective) to lock out equipment for players on that Tier. If WGT wants the Level-system, fine, but it should only be used to allow lower-Tier players access to higher-Tier items. Legends should have access to everything. Financially, lots of Legends are gear-freaks, and would buy and sell back a lot of stuff, which is good for WGt, I would assume.

GL everyone out there, and WGT let's keep improving the game.

C

• BirdieButton
    164 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 12:47 PM

I do not understand wanting more equipments.   So we buy all these new equipments so we can leave are ball where tour masters leave it?  Default tees anyone?

• 6packmike
    235 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 6:25 PM

Anything past the 285 yard driver would be risky. Wgt can only make so many equal comparisons to the real PGA tour. Don't you think if...

1. Tiger or Phil's body could hold up to 20 or 30 rounds per day sitting down on the job

2. They always shot from a level surface

3. They played the same 4 courses all the time

4. Had a professional surveyor telling them exactly how many feet or inches uphill or downhill their shot was along with many other aids

that they would make a mockery of scores also? You can't count all the crash course learning in a few lifetime's worth of rounds for nothing and still keep scores realistic.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 8:18 PM

I agree with the slightly longer driver.  Rated distance in my opinion should not top 285 yards. 

Irons on the other hand we need to be careful with.  I would go with similar length irons with more carry less roll.  I would not want to see hitting a 8I 165 yrds and stopping it dead. 

The rational is we have achieved in my opinion more realism as the result of the last update.  If it becomes to liberal we could be back to shooting 28 as a norm.  To me that should be the exception and not the norm.

The way I look at a 3 iron that hits 210 yards.  Improved 3i may be 204 yards carry and 6 yards of roll.  This is a computer simulation.  If we make the clubs to perfect we be shooting our selves in the foot again.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 10:15 PM

Basically the $30 in wedges is waisted dollars for me. They are useless from back here thank you!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sun, Sep 12 2010 12:06 AM

There will NEVER be a Legend driver. Equipment is now Level, not tier, based.

There will NEVER be a set of irons. Equipment is now Level, not tier, based.

There will NEVER be a Legend putter. Equipment is now Level, not tier, based.

The sooner we get that into our heads, the sooner we start making suggestions that will make a difference in this new system.

I just got to level 37, and a screen popped up with a link to the pro shop, I have now unlocked the Rapture V2 clubs. Aside from the pleasant "bleep", I pretty much feel insulted. The Legend tier really should have been awarded more Levels to start.

By the time we all level up, the tour Masters (many of them will not move up to Legend) will have access to the same clubs as Legends. There will never again be an equipment advantage based on tier. This encourages completion of games, encourages participation,  discourages multi-accounts (as long as sandbagging is somehow addressed) , these are welcome changes. As long as WGT can somehow ensure that people are in the right tiers based on their talent level, this system will be great.

Right now, things are unbalanced because of the "Legacy" clubs a lot of us have. This will only even out in time, as the Tour Masters that are good enough to be there move up to Legend. In order to ensure that, there has to be some other "perk" to being a Legend. (and of course sandbagging needs to be delt with)

Legends are still pretty much dominating tourny's it seems.

I've yet to drop a MPC game to a master, meanwhile I'm getting trounced by others in my tier.

RSS