Forums

Help › Forums

Bethpage Black

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 24 2014 9:20 PM (5 replies)
  • chrisoops
    3 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2014 9:38 AM

I have only played Bethpage Black a couple of times, but just noticed what I believe is a discrepancy for Hole 7.

I currently play as Pro - Level 36 - Average Score 72.80.

On my level the Score Card States that Hole 7  is 502 yards - Par 4.

How is it that Hole 4 is 461 yards - Par 5.

Surely this must have been noticed in the past!

Am I missing something or just being stupid.

Comments welcome.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2014 9:51 AM

chrisoops:
    Am I missing something
    This!

The hole was declared a Par 4 for the US Open Championship, and this is what we're playing.

Proof is in a scorecard from that event, available online.

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2014 10:59 AM

Like Alosso said that is the way they play it is the U.S. Open. The big thing is that # 7 is fairly flat being only slightly uphill so it can be reached is 2 most of the time. However the shorter #4 is way uphill and plays much longer than the distance stated. And it is all but impossible to stop a ball on the green in 2 with starter clubs. It is extremely hard to stop it on that green in 2 with even the best clubs and balls. So even though it is only 461 it plays more like 500 and not being able to stop the ball on the green in 2 they made it a par 5.. For the U.S. Open #7 at only 517 and fairly flat would have been an very easy eagle chance. So they made it a par 4 so as not to make the scores a joke.

Actually for every day play both of those holes are played as par 5's with the course being a par 71 while we play it as the U.S. Open plays it as a par 70. 

• chrisoops
    3 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 8:53 AM

Many thanks for the explanation, all makes sense now.

• Silverfox11407
    26 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 2:41 PM

As you stated getting the ball to hold the green on the BP #4 hole on the 2nd shot is not easy but using the new Level97 Nike 3 iron pared with the Level 80 nike ball that has the most BS i have been holding the green 50 % of the time with a slight headwind or crosswind as depicted in the below few replays i saved recently to show it done. Of course the only time it provides a decent chance for a putting eagle is when the pins in the back which is not very often. 

1.  http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=308c4cfa-e992-443f-9f0e-a2dc013b5d37

2.  http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=1be55cba-2836-42ce-83ac-a2c601319046

Regards, Ron

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 9:20 PM

borntobesting:
    he big thing is that # 7 is fairly flat being only slightly uphill so it can be reached is 2 most of the time.

My recollection that with starters clubs it was strictly a 3 shot to the green hole and hopefully a single putt. That said it has been a long time since I was at pro so not sure the distance it plays but if you say 504, it would not be reachable in regulation..

The good news is when you hit legend, it actually is probably the easiest course. 

RSS