Questions For WGT Designers

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 16 2014 6:37 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • spy88
    205 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 2:45 PM

To Whom,

I've only been playing here for a short time but for over 45 years irl so I think I have legitimate questions.

1)  Why "tell" us we are in the rough, fairway, weeds, etc.?  We will see that when it's our turn.  Not necessary and a waste of processing power.

2)  Why show us the other players' club/ball?  Unnecessary!  Same reason as #1.

3)  While other players are taking their turn, why do you not show us our own clubs and the elevation to the hole so we can be prepared when it's our turn...this is as irl.  Switch the processing power to this and speed up play!

4)  There are other smaller issues, but the 3 above are the most important to me to be answered...if you would be so inclined.

Thank you for any response.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:10 PM

Just play alone and all is solved

• justacowboy
    1,338 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:14 PM

lol great answer........only a lady would think that way ....hats off to you

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 4:00 PM

Congratulations on your recent promotion!

WGT has been operating (one assumes successfully - as they're still here) for several years. Their graphics are the best that I have seen in any golf game - which leads me to believe that they possess ample computing power for what they do. It is not their computing power, normally, that slows down games - it is our internet connection speed and our computers (for future reference,  a "jerky" meter is not WGT's fault).  The program that you play is the same one that millions of others have played and there is an extremely miniscule chance that WGT will customize their programming to suit each of us, individually.
    If you want to prepare for your next shot - note the following when your ball stops rolling: 1). Distance to the pin (lower RHS of the screen) 2). Wind velocity (upper RHS of screen - unlikely to chance while you play that hole), 3) Wind direction.
    The only remaining data point is the pin elevation relative to our ball which appears VERY quickly, when it's your turn. 
    SweetiePie is offering good advice!!
    Good luck!!

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:29 PM

From what I understand, Flash Player and it's layers imposes a plethora of restrictions.

Add in the complications associated with multi-player games. 

As mentioned many of us note the lie, distance, and wind at the end of our shots.

While another player is up, I then check/review my mental or written notes for that hole. I decide:

• What club I'm going to use for my next shot.

• How hard I'm going to hit the shot.

• Where I want my ball to land in the fairway or on the  green.

•  If the shot allows, how much (if any) I want the ball to roil or back up after it lands.

When it is again my turn I will have already made all the major decisions for the shot so all that is left to do is - set my aim point, set the ball spin (if applicable), choose my shot type and club, and then hit the ball.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:51 PM

ApexPC:
    From what I understand, Flash Player and it's layers imposes a plethora of restrictions.

Interesting. Could you elaborate more on the restrictions and which ones are holding WGT back?

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 8:14 PM

ApexPC:

Yes, please elaborate in the most basic of layman's terms so (we) understand.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:34 PM

"WGT designers" whatever gave you that idea? I mean......... sorry, yeah, that sounds like a great idea perhaps they should hire some.

I've always worked under the impression what we see is what survived 10,000 monkeys playing with some gaming code and a few hundred thousand HD photos.

My apologies to any hominoids who may be reading.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 1:47 AM

Chinajohn:
    I've always worked under the impression what we see is what survived 10,000 monkeys playing with some gaming code and a few hundred thousand HD photos.

Harsh but true and it sticks to the wall.

If they would only get off the ping pong table and do the job correctly, or wait, was that the tech support guys? Sorry, it has been awhile since I viewed Andy's documentary on the inner workings of WGT.

Have a nice day!

P.S. Please give that guy his stapler back.

P.S.S. Directed at ApexPC, "From what I understand, Flash Player and it's layers imposes a plethora of restrictions".

Still waiting for your reply there big dog, or was this the only time you opened your mouth to change your foot? (That's a quote from another thread from another man, just modified to fit this situation a tad). Clock's ticking.

• spy88
    205 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 1:13 PM

Sure...I do play by myself...and that is all I'll say to that!

And I thank those of you posting your thoughts, but WGT has not chimed in to my questions, valid (or as invalid) as they are.  I was  and still am, talking about a sim doing its best to compare to irl.  As the system is set up, yes...I do my computations while waiting my turn and wait for the elevation to show.  But why hold it back from us at all???

As for connection problems, old slow computers, not enough Ram, whatever...I've seen too many times "WGT has encountered an error.  Sorry for the interruption" (not verbatim).  This indicates their processing power is/does have occasional hiccups.  Almost as annoying as a player with other open windows/apps running (or bad/slow connection) that slow down their WGT load. 

WGT has been online for over 5 years and I'm sure they've done much upgrading/fixing/tinkering but I just don't understand why the elevation of our next shot is hidden until our turn.  Makes no logical sense to me at all.

• PAGES
RSS