Forums

Help › Forums

I feel so silly...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:16 PM (8 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:56 PM

We're on spring break right now (I work part time as a crossing guard), the weather is nice so I decided to take a 25 mile bike ride. One mile before arriving home I went to put my foot on top of a barrier post at the end of a bike trail and missed. I was basically stopped but I couldn't get my foot unclipped from the other pedal fast enough.

I proceeded to tip over in what felt like slow motion and lay there briefly like a beached whale. By the time I untangled myself and got up I discovered the front rim was bent like a potato chip.

The bike is my primary transportation so at least I have a few days to get another rim before the kids start school again. It is, though, an unexpected expense we didn't need right now.

All because of a break in concentration.

I feel so silly.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:59 PM

At least you weren't hurt sir. 

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Mar 17 2014 11:24 PM

courteneyfish:

I am appreciative of that. Fortunately, the way I fell didn't test my helmet and my upper body was able to roll a bit so there was no jarring impact to break bones. The gloves even kept my hands from picking up gravel bits from the asphalt.

It definitely could have been a lot worse.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 7:14 AM

srellim234:

I couldn't get my foot unclipped from the other pedal fast enough.

I proceeded to tip over in what felt like slow motion and lay there briefly like a beached whale.

LOL.   I only laugh because " I've been there, done that"  hate the t-shirt, but have one. ;-)

Since I don't ride trails anymore, I went back to these.  

And I usually pull the straps off since the only time I ride my bike now is to work with office attire for clothing.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 9:21 AM

courteneyfish:

Same  for me, I hope just your pride got in the way a bit lolllll.      I came to beleive that human being are a walking accident waiting to happen from birth to old age ...... Good day all . Frapp

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 11:25 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Yep, definitely hurt the pride a little bit even though these things happen sooner or later to every bike rider.

Went to the local bike shop this morning; they had the replacement black rim for $55. They transferred the tube, tire and cycle computer sensor from the damaged wheel to the replacement in about 10 minutes at no extra charge. They had some fun stories to tell of similar incidents they've had through the years. Now I don't feel quite as embarrassed about it.

At any rate I'm back in business and ready to pedal away again. :)

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 9:20 AM

srellim234:

I proceeded to tip over in what felt like slow motion and lay there briefly like a beached whale. By the time I untangled myself and got up I discovered the front rim was bent like a potato chip.

All because of a break in concentration.

I feel so silly.

Hi!

Please don't feel silly! Accidents happen! I should know!

At least you didn't do a face plant over the handlebars like I did on my MTB.

And you never broke any bones!

I'm glad you're ok! Yay! {HUGG}

And nobody has compared you to me yet!

Hahahaha!

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:35 AM

srellim234:
    I proceeded to tip over in what felt like slow motion

It sure does feel like slow motion, but hurts like fast forward.   Thinking about it brings this to mind...

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:16 PM

Perfect! :)

RSS