Help › Forums

how do you get better?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 21 2014 11:17 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • superhoops1888
    2 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:10 AM

im on and off playing, just done a straight 18 days in a row, although I joined in 2009 and play back and forth...

just played golf now championship as an amateur and got 75 which is my very best ever

the guy won it with a 57 and 13 birdies!

im a level 43 pro av score 80

so how do you get better, its not practice, do you have to buy credits and buy new gear?

I saw a drive of 411yards, my best was 290 and average 225, so how do I drive longer and put better?

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:15 AM

You have starter gear/the clubs you started with when joining the game. If you wan`t to drive the ball longer etc etc. You will need to upgrade your equipment from the pro shop/buy equipment and balls.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:33 AM

superhoops1888:
    so how do you get better, its not practice,

This made me chuckle.  ;-)

superhoops1888:
    do you have to buy credits and buy new gear?

You don't have to buy credits, you can earn some free by watching videos, doing surveys and completing offers.  (although it's much easier just to buy them). 

And buying new gear only gives you the potential to play better, it actually does take practice.  

Keep playing for the fun of it, don't take the game too seriously and the practice won't seem like so much of a chore to do.  Take plenty of notes and have fun.

HP

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:51 AM

superhoops1888:

Actually it is. Sure better clubs and balls help but if you just play on and off as you say you won't get a lot better. You have to spend some time learning what your clubs can and can't do and play to your clubs strengths. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:35 AM

superhoops1888:

Sure is. Even with starter stuff you can do better than this just by learning the different shots and managing the courses better. It's not fair to criticize after only 57 ranked rounds, though. Come back in another 100 or so. Maybe look at getting a decent driver with a couple of good wedges.

In the meantime, if you really want to apply yourself without spending a cent, read the Chip and Pitch Tips in the FAQs and learn all of the shots you have. Get those GIRs in the 80s and the %s over 50.  You'll soon see what it will take to get better and then you'll be able to decide how much you want to invest here. Clubs make a difference but only if you know how to use them.  

superhoops1888:
    just played golf now championship as an amateur and got 75 which is my very best ever

Good on you! Wait until you get the hang of it and then watch this drop.  ;-)

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 2:34 PM

I thought you got better at golf by not practicing haha

• JasonBlazer
    2,246 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:23 PM

Of course you have to practice, practice, practice....it's no different from foosball or Asteroids or Mario Bros. or Candy (whatever that is)...equipment can help, but if you hit the pellet straight and true, and judge distances correctly, and read greens well,  you can beat anyone that believes practice is optional (lol)....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:18 AM

JasonBlazer:
    it's no different from foosball or Asteroids

Oh man, gimme back all the quarters I sunk into that friggin Asteroids machine. Add in the number I dropped on that addictive Space Invaders and I'd be swimming in credits here.  :-D

• superhoops1888
    2 Posts
    Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:36 AM

it was a but tongue and cheek about practice, I know you get better by practicing...

however you cant hit the low scores on practice alone, I assume anybody hitting 57 has top clubs and balls...

my next question, how much will it cost to get a better set of clubs and balls, not the top stes just a bit better

I like the game and wouldn't mind paying £20 to £30 to increase the gameplay and lower my scores...

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 21 2014 8:02 AM

superhoops1888:
    my next question, how much will it cost to get a better set of clubs and balls, not the top stes just a bit better

Find your answer  here

• PAGES
RSS