Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing to HIGHER Tiers

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 27 2014 10:03 AM (23 replies)
  • JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Mon, Apr 7 2014 4:40 PM

OK.......I haven't been on WGT all that long.....3+ months.  I just reached TOUR MASTER today.  It was a lot of hard work........time, effort, cost of a LOT of balls, etc.  Well, all of you know that's what it takes.  I played many, many CC Tournaments as well as many "ranked rounds" on my own, but, few "matches" vs. other members.

BUT, did you know?  That, if you play "match games" & "alt. shot games" with other members - especially if you WIN those over members who are at a higher tier than you are, you will advance MUCH more quickly, than if you play alone.

A month ago, I read about a guy here in the Forum who was a "Master".  But, because, he defeated (16) Legends in "match" play - WGT elevated him to the "Legend Tier".  He was very surprised, as was I.  So, he leaped completely over the "Tour Master" tier.  

Nowhere on WGT's web site - not in the FAQs will you read anything that discusses the various ways that will help you get to a higher tier.....faster.

And, one of my WGT friends just recently made "Tour Master", but, he never play a single "ranked round" as a Master.  He played a TON of "matches", so, WGT gave him bonus points, which helped him avoid having to play the normal (40) minimum "ranked rounds" to get from the "Master" Tier to the "Tour Master" tier.

It's my understanding, that this method of play - "match play & alt. shot" will help EVERY member of any tier advance more quickly.

Good Luck to your All.

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Mon, Apr 7 2014 6:03 PM

deleted by me.  JR

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:06 PM

JRTexas1949:
    BUT, did you know?  That, if you play "match games" & "alt. shot games" with other members - especially if you WIN those over members who are at a higher tier than you are, you will advance MUCH more quickly, than if you play alone.

Yes we  know - it has been in effect for 1.5 years now, "Anti-Sandbagging measures".

JRTexas1949:
    Nowhere on WGT's web site - not in the FAQs will you read anything that discusses the various ways that will help you get to a higher tier.....faster.

+1. These are kept secret to make it harder for the sandbaggers to bypass them. Instead, these players become multi-players - cheaters!

JRTexas1949:
    It's my understanding, that this method of play - "match play & alt. shot" will help EVERY member of any tier advance more quickly.

+1 concerning match play. But, be careful what you wish for - you may find yourself playing from longer tees (Master, Legend tier) with short equipment of the low level you're stuck in - an unpleasant situation which might lead weak characters to said cheating solution.

BTW: A/S (and Skins and CTTH/Blitz) won't affect your average and tier.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:56 PM
    Alt shot games don't affect tiering. I just thought that I'd make that clear.
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 12:12 AM

I beg to differ: There is a win/loss count in the matchplay stats.

More important: They add XPs :p

• JasonNumber100
    2,908 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 1:26 AM

Be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener. What's the rush to become a Legend? The journey is more enjoyable then the destination.

I hardly played any matchplay and I soon got to Legend quick enough. However, when I did I was at a level that I could by the appropriate clubs in order to be able to play from the longer tees. More importantly I had picked up the full experience you get in stroke play that you just don't get in matchplay or alt shot.

I'm not a very good Legend but I would have been worse if I had been promoted earlier. You are at the most enjoyable part of your journey. It goes quick enough, don't wish it away just so you can say you are a Legend.

• tramilleo
    1,889 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 3:45 AM

I agree^^^^^^^^, the things that i have learned as i have progressed through the tiers, i would never have learned had i been promoted without playing ranked rounds.I was a Master and on September 7 of 2010, wgt switched the game from tier based only, to levels and tiers.I was promoted to tour master with this change, but it was okay for me as i had been a Master for a few months before they promoted me.

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 8:28 AM

Good comment here, Jason; As well as the other members' comments.

I believe that now, playing both match games and alt. shot games do earn members extra bonus points each month - that help members lower their averages, thus, help members progress more quickly to the next highest tier.  It you look at member's stats, look at the section that shows the information about wins & losses in match and alt. shot games.  But, not 100% this is true, since, WGT has not published this information on their web site - all any of us can really do is, speculate.

Well, I was just curious about all this, more than anything else.

I do recall a few weeks ago, here in the Forum, another member was asking questions about how and why WGT does certain things.  There were a few responses from other members.  Then, I noticed that the WGTicon jumped into that discussion and basically said - If another WGT member tries to explain or answer your questions about WGT here in the Forum, you might not want to rely to heavily on the accuracy of their answer.  Because, they really don't know the facts; Again, they are probably just speculating, based on their experience here on WGT. 

I fully understand and respect the fact that WGT owns this web site. They have the right to make changes, and without notice if they choose.

I really was not complaining, just wondering out loud.

Thanks for everyone's input here.

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 8:42 AM

Yes, I tend to agree with your very last statement; That CTTH & Blitiz don't effect your average or tier. 

And too, just based on my limited playing experience - I also believe that when we play the WGT Best of Par 3, Par 4 & Par 5 Holes - playing those courses do not effect our averages.  It's my understanding, that WGT created those (3) courses just for fun. That, since they aren't "real" golf courses and have the traditional mix of Par 3, Par 4 & Par 5 holes - they don't effect our averages.

But, again, this too is nothing I have seen published by WGT.  So, all I'm really doing here too is, speculating.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 11:19 AM

Of course none of us has precise first hand information because the company falls silent concerning these, but there are educated guesses which have not yet been rebutted. In some occasions, officials have pointed to the tier advancement tables - nothing else.

JRTexas1949:
    I believe that now, playing both match games and alt. shot games do earn members extra bonus points each month - that help members lower their averages, thus, help members progress more quickly to the next highest tier. 

I put my guesses and beliefs against yours ;)

There are bonus points (XPs) for awards in extensive match play but none for A/S. These points count towards the level, not the tier. For A/S, there is only a win/loss count which is a stats without any further meaning or consequences.

As explained before, match play wins against higher tiers may accelerate the tier promotion, both in average and minimum rounds. Legends and TLs excluded.

And, while Par3s and Par5s are excluded from the average, the Par4 is not AFAIK, a mixed course like BoF and BoH, with a proper course par.

RSS