Help › Forums

Advancing to HIGHER Tiers

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 27 2014 10:03 AM (23 replies)
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 1:35 PM

JR, I read your wall note.

Excuse me - no disrespect nor other harm intended.

Guesses and beliefs are not meant to belittle the conversational partner. I did not even look at your profile status.

Please feel invited to put up any thought and argument which you might contribute to the subject. Enlighten me, this is more important than "winning" a discussion!

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:29 PM

ALOSSO - From my way of thinking, if ALL WGT members are not aware of all of WGT's rules & criteria for moving to higher tiers, lowering their averages, etc., it's not a level playing field.

OK, let's use American Pro Football as an example.  An offensive team needs 10 yards for a 1st down.  Everyone knows this.  But, if for some reason HALF of the NFL teams were without their knowledge, forced to make 20 yards for a first down for the 2014 season, instead of 10 yards - HOW is this fair?

As I mentioned before, I fully understand this web site belongs to WGT.  They have the absolute right to change any of the rules or criteria - any time they choose and without notice.  But, as in every sport and game that I know of and have participated in over the years, I KNEW the rules going in.  And, if  the rules changed, I was informed.

Yes, beliefs and guesses are not "meant" to belittle.  But, your being a Legend & being on WGT much longer than I have, doesn't give you a crystal ball.  All of us as members here on WGT are "guessing" about some of the rules & criteria changes - regardless of which tier you're at.

And, the biggest problem I have with the WGT Forum is that all too often when a WGT member comes here to post a comment or ask a question - they tend to get hammered by other members - like it's a sport in of itself.  Respect for each other should be an "unwritten" rule here in the WGT Forum.  I'm not aiming this statement at you, Alosso, it's just something I've been noticing here in the Forum.  Too many WGT members (who are posting 100's of posts here in the Forum) believe themselves to be "experts" about every aspect of WGT, and they aren't.  They're guessing.

• laidback2
    2 Posts
    Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:30 AM

ok....I,ve been ' stuck' on the Master tier for over 6 months. Recently started playing again & even though I,ve beaten legends three times, in the past 7 days in Match Play, I haven,t moved at all. I use Match Play because its always been a ' shortcut; to a higher tier.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:20 PM

Obviously, this has changed from the first installation. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It may also depend on credits involved.

You may want to read the warning statements in this thread against accelerated tier promotion. Looking at your scores, I'd like to point out that patience is one of the golfers' virtues. Take your time for Master - you might need some more time @TM.

Have fun!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:38 PM
    laidback2:

ok....I,ve been ' stuck' on the Master tier for over 6 months. Recently started playing again & even though I,ve beaten legends three times, in the past 7 days in Match Play, I haven,t moved at all. I use Match Play because its always been a ' shortcut; to a higher tier.

I'd recommend dumping the hybrid and using 3 equally spaced wedges. That alone can drop a number or two from your scores. You can learn to punch from rough easily enough with practice.
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Apr 9 2014 11:00 PM

JRTexas1949:
    ALOSSO - From my way of thinking, if ALL WGT members are not aware of all of WGT's rules & criteria for moving to higher tiers, lowering their averages, etc., it's not a level playing field.

They hide it to reserve their unrestricted right of modification, and to make life not too easy for sandbaggers. Much of the information is available as educated guesses, this is the game, and this is the company. They are under big influence of the famous Hold-your-Tongue tribe of San Francisco Bay.

I agree concerning respect, and in cases where opinions (and knowledge) don't come into accordance, I rather "agree to disagree" than to name and blame the opposition, e.g. by his equipment or his stats, nor outright defamation or swearing.

Alas, I would need some facts to agree to an opinion or a belief. By chance, I have above-average knowledge (or guessing power) of the numerical average calculation, accompanied by some common guesses. Thus, your deviating "beliefs" need some proof before I might accept them. Once more, please: Enlighten me!

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Sun, Apr 13 2014 6:35 PM

Hello "alosso";

I'm re-writing this comment as I believe I have learned a bit more about this issue - by reading WGT's FAQs concerning "match play" & "alt. shot games".

OK, first, it's my understanding that to move up to a higher tier, a player must hit a minimum number of ranked rounds. In my case, now a Tour Master, I need to hit (50) ranked rounds as a Tour Master.  Then, I have to get my average down to 61.00.  Doing so, gets me to the Legend Tier.

I have played very few matches and only a couple of alt. shot games.

It is now my understanding, that POINTS are awarded to members who play matches and alt. shot games.  The Tier of the player determines how many points you earn.  Winning, I believe helps, but, looks like you still earn points.  At the end of the month, the total of points are awarded to the member - and this, I believe, helps lower a member's average & helps them get to the next higher tier.

The question I have.  Can you ONLY play matches and alt. shot to get to the next higher tier OR are you still required to hit the (minimum ranked) rounds - depending on the tier you are in?  Can you clarify this?

Thanks,

JR

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Sun, Apr 13 2014 9:45 PM

Comment deleted by me.  JR

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 11:03 PM

JRTexas1949:
    OK, first, it's my understanding that to move up to a higher tier, a player must hit a minimum number of ranked rounds. In my case, now a Tour Master, I need to hit (50) ranked rounds as a Tour Master.  Then, I have to get my average down to 61.00.  Doing so, gets me to the Legend Tier.

True.

JRTexas1949:
    It is now my understanding, that POINTS are awarded to members who play matches and alt. shot games.  The Tier of the player determines how many points you earn.  Winning, I believe helps, but, looks like you still earn points.  At the end of the month, the total of points are awarded to the member

True concerning Match Play, not true concerning A/S.

True concerning Match Play wins, not true concerning losses.

Look up "Match Play Points" in the Match Play section of the FAQs =>

These points are cumulated monthly for a special Match Play Points award, see FAQs =>

JRTexas1949:
    and this, I believe, helps lower a member's average & helps them get to the next higher tier.

My belief is against such influence - never heard or experienced anything like sudden average drops on the 1st of a month.

JRTexas1949:
    Can you ONLY play matches and alt. shot to get to the next higher tier OR are you still required to hit the (minimum ranked) rounds - depending on the tier you are in?
    Concerning Match Play, yes, I've seen one or two players advancing a tier or two without a single stroke play round.

OTOH, according to my knowledge/belief, A/S has no influence on average, tier nor completion %%.

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 10:31 AM

Thanks, alosso!  All good information to know.

Concerning players advancing to a higher tier without having played ranked rounds or playing very few.  Seems like, for example, a player advances to Legend with very little ranked round experience - how would they compete?  Because, it's my understanding, when you play - even win a match, there's not a score, only a win or a loss. Doesn't matter how poorly you play - a win is a win.

It seems like a player with very little ranked round experience will have little choice, but to continue playing only match play?

OK.  Interesting info.  Again, thanks for the clarity here.

JR

RSS