Help › Forums

Just a suggestion, BUT........

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 21 2010 5:27 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rclc522
    5 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 3:03 PM

I love the reality of the way the game flows in so many ways, but why is there such a wide margin in how wind speed, green speed and green reading so different from hole to hole...how about some consistancy?  I'm 230 yards out with a 30 mph wind speed blowing east to west, I make the adjustment...right on target.  I'm 75 yards out same set up, same adjustment, same stroke...but the wind either has no effect or just the opposite, too much.  Same with putting,,,,one green the break flows, the height flows; on the next green, same break, same height, and nothing or way too much.........CONSISTANCY.........

ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS TROUBLE?

• sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 6:42 PM

the BEAST!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 6:58 PM

Inconsistency seems to be part of the game for some these days.

• PGAbound67
    565 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:16 PM

rclc522:

I'm 230 yards out with a 30 mph wind speed blowing east to west, I make the adjustment...right on target.  I'm 75 yards out same set up, same adjustment, same stroke...but the wind either has no effect or just the opposite, too much.  

ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS TROUBLE?

The ball isnt going to be affected nearly as much for a 75yd shot as it is a 230 yd shot. The 230yd shot is in the air WAY longer, therefor gets pushed by the wind way more. You have to account for your distance from the hole when adjusting for wind, not just the wind strength, the longer the ball is in the air, the more the wind will affect it.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:32 PM

PGAbound67:
    The ball isnt going to be affected nearly as much for a 75yd shot as it is a 230 yd shot

This is exactly how it SHOULD be, but has been one of my largest grumbles with this game and its logic. The shot deviations are noticeable right off of the club face, and the deviation is overemphasized in the launch angle, and get more pronounced, as the wind gets stronger.

I agree 100% that this is how it SHOULD be addressed, but absolutely do not agree that this is the current behavior. A minuscule miss of the 'ding' mark on the meter should have the same launch angle whether the wind is 5mph at your back, or 25 mph left to right. Unfortunately, the launch angle deviation forces the shot to start way off target, and then the wind helps to push it farther. 

Now, if they had draw/fade options built in, I would expect this behavior. They don't, and I don't........

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 5:40 AM

rc-That long iron and your wedge are definitely going to be affected differently. Do not expect a long iron to react to the wind the way a wedge does because that's the way it is IRL. Your 75 yard shot is not in the air as long as the long iron is and has a different trajectory  so the affect will be different.

When you miss the ding on the wrong side of the wind (early in your example) the affect is severe. When you miss on the other side you will always have a better shot. Much like putting, if you miss on the downside of the break you will always miss the putt but miss on the high side and you will always have a chance. Hope this helps. GL

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 5:54 AM

The game is actually very consistent, but your clubs are not.  Unfortunately, even when you ding a shot, it may go 5-15 yards to the right or left of where it ought to have gone due to randomness intentionally added into the game.

Sadly, some people want to see this randomness increased.  In their opinion, you should shank balls, balls should fly 20-40 yards off-target, and/or the frequency of 5-15 off-target shots should be increased.  I find this to be highly ridiculous, as it would make the game akin to a roulette table much more so than than a skill-based game, and it is also a lot harder to learn the game and/or a course (if such a thing is even possible under such a system) when where your shots go has so little to do with where you actually aimed them.

As far as the greens go, they are actually extremely consistent and so is your putter.  The only real problem with putting is how WGT has implemented the grid system: unfortunately, the distance in between the grid lines is too far apart to see all the little bumps and valleys in the path of your putt.

All of this can be chalked up to the "realism" of the inability to achieve perfection in real life (e.g. you will never hit a shot after shot exactly the same -- where they all fall in the exact same spot -- anytime you believe you've hit a perfect shot; you will never be able to read every single detail of a green, no matter how close you look at it; etc.,) but yes, it can be annoying at times, and I most certainly don't think that the severity of randomness and imperfection should be increased, just to make people quit shooting rounds of 58-64.  If WGT wants to put an end to that, they can just add in sloped lies for fairway shots... something that can be figured out and adjusted for (even if adjustments that we will try to make are not 100% accurate,) not simply some randomness that is completely uncontrollable.

• scofnix
    17 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 6:45 AM

I completely agree with your problems. I am having the same trouble too

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:19 AM

CharlemagneRH:
    If WGT wants to put an end to that, they can just add in sloped lies for fairway shots.

Lie factoring will instantly impact this game. Replace the deviation with that factor and you'll have a true golf game.

• nosson
    3 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:35 AM

I am having serious consistency issues with putting.  I thought I had adjusted to the "tournament" greens and was putting up decent scores right around my average.  But in the past few days I can't seem to sink a putt outside of 8 feet no matter how I play it.  It could be I am just having some bad days but I would obviously prefer to conclude that there is a technical difference in how the greens are playing.   Anyone else have this problem over the past few days? 

• PAGES
RSS