Help › Forums

Path to Higher Tiers

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 26 2014 10:08 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:04 AM

OK, help me understand WGT's thinking here.

I'm seeing many WGT members moving up to higher tiers with so few ranked rounds. 

For example:  Today, I saw a Tour Master (very close to advancing to Legend).  This player has a total of (56) ranked rounds.  His scores for those rounds posted are poor.  His stats are really bad.  BUT, he has a ton on of match play, so WGT has been rewarding him with a lot of bonus points and moving him up tier after tier without the normal required ranked rounds for each tier.

I've played some matches.  You could win a match with, in reality, a +10 score, as scores don't matter.  You win or lose a hole.  You win or lose a match.  If you win, you earn points. Beating up on lower tier players for points - so, that earns a WGT member a path to the Legend tier?  Really?

It's just my opinion here, but, I feel WGT is giving way too much weight to match play.  Great they give a player bonus points for match play.  But, in the case of the WGT Tour Master I pointed out above, HOW does that player expect to compete at the Legend tier?

ONLY 56 ranked rounds from Hack to Legend?  Really?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:21 AM

JRTexas1949:
    His stats are really bad.  BUT, he has a ton on of match play, so WGT has been rewarding him with a lot of bonus points and moving him up tier after tier without the normal required ranked rounds for each tier.

I would put that down as a good thing prima facie.

JRTexas1949:
    HOW does that player expect to compete at the Legend tier?

Were they beating legends or hacks? Winning money? What level?

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:32 AM

JRTexas1949:
    I've played some matches.  You could win a match with, in reality, a +10 score, as scores don't matter.  You win or lose a hole.  You win or lose a match.  If you win, you earn points. Beating up on lower tier players for points - so, that earns a WGT member a path to the Legend tier?  Really?

You get points for winning yeah but only beating higher tier players will get u to legend

JRTexas1949:
    It's just my opinion here, but, I feel WGT is giving way too much weight to match play.  Great they give a player bonus points for match play.  But, in the case of the WGT Tour Master I pointed out above, HOW does that player expect to compete at the Legend tier?

Why are u so concerned with his game bro play ur own and be happy if he get there its his problem then 

• JRTexas1949
    42 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:38 AM

Hi Jim;

The player I mentioned in my example is a Tour Master.  Looking at his stats under match play, he's played:  131 Hacks; 60 Amateurs; 135 Pros; 95 Masters.  His win loss of other tier players is:  Tour Masters 27-60;  Legends 8-24.

Can't tell if he was playing for money.

And, I think it's fine for WGT to give bonus points for match play, but, just feel WGT has created an easy path to tier up.

I read the other day in the WGT Forum from a Legend player.  He said, he knows of a Tour Legend who went from Hack to Tour Legend without a single ranked round.  Seems like a stretch, but, he said it was due to that player's match play.  Well, if a lower tier player is beating up on players at higher tiers, that makes more sense to me.

But, you have over 2,000 ranked rounds and are a Tour Legend.  Are you OK with members getting to where you are having played less than say, 200 ranked rounds?

JR

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:52 AM

JRTexas1949:
    Legends 8-24

That's the bit that would really do it.  Sadly that can lead to some crumby Legends, and that can perpetuate.  WGT never reveal the exact calcs they use, but something to remember it seems still.  Anti sandbagging thing that catches a few too many maybe, but in an imperfect world..........Sadly WGT could be more effective by not allowing very high level TP's thru to TMs (one's that really know the system) to use equipment above a certain level to compete and etc etc, but it's something.  Personally I am unconvinced WGT do much more than pay lip service to the problem but that's what's going on AFAIK,

JRTexas1949:
    But, you have over 2,000 ranked rounds and are a Tour Legend.  Are you OK with members getting to where you are having played less than say, 200 ranked rounds?

Thankfully no worries there.  The only way to get to TL is to play 500 RRs within Legend tier and have those RRs equal 60 average (BoP3/5 do not count).  Digressing on from that you can do all those RRs Beth F9 / some low wind Beth B9 comp, and that floats the boat of some for whatever reason - different issue though:).  At least TL still has some reasonable standard attached. 

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:02 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Thankfully no worries there.  The only way to get to TL is to play 500 RRs within Legend tier and have those RRs equal 60 average (BoP3/5 do not count).  Digressing on from that you can do all those RRs Beth F9 / some low wind Beth B9 comp, and that floats the boat of some for whatever reason - different issue though:).  At least TL still has some reasonable standard attached. 

they do make exceptions jim lol (just sayin )

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:03 AM

JRTexas1949:
    just feel WGT has created an easy path to tier up.

Yes they did so about in Oct. 2012, and on purpose.

Before, a player could stay in a tier forever by avoiding stroke play. He might become a Legend from skills view and rip off other players from these "short" tees. And, this was well inside of the rules.

In an "anti-sandbagging" effort, WGT added new paths to higher tiers (sic!) which include those match play wins and credits wins in tournaments. Now these cons are limited - quite favourable IMHO. It may only have led to more repeaters/multiaccounters.

Seeing these two items, I can't tell if us players have profited or not. The only party to take safe profit is the Pro Shop, necessary for both premature Legends and experienced noobs.

BTW: You may have had my postings in mind when citing a Legend, but I never said that so. would rise from Hack to Legend without strokeplay. I said, multiple tiers, remembering a corresponding Master => Legend progress.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:04 AM

spdemon:

Heard that elsewhere very recently.  Can you confirm that??  What are the circumstances you have seen??  

Hopefully not as extreme as beating a few half mast Legends to get to Legend.  I do hope they are protecting some integrity of TL.

Personally I can see room for another tier above TL.  Not for anything else else than an achievement of certain scores over a certain amount of courses. but that's a whole another topic :)

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:07 AM

Jimbog1964:

spdemon:

Heard that elsewhere very recently.  Can you conform that??  What are the circumstances you have seen??  

yep 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:12 AM

spdemon:
    yep 

Please elucidate then:)

Look some one like a HansW who was genuinely just a great genuine player I do not have any problem with getting TL early.  Why hold back a genuine talent like that, same as anything in like.  If they are doing it properly like that fair play on that one.

• PAGES
RSS