Forums

Help › Forums

Newbie - Needs Help

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:32 PM (8 replies)
  • lkchesnut
    67 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 1:31 PM

Actually I'm not a "newbie" but my recent scores don't prove it.  Been playing about a month now and have progressed to L32 and Tour Pro but my score average is getting worse by the day.  I know practice makes perfect but I'm beginning to have my doubts.  I know I'm going out on a limb here.....but.......Any Useful Suggestions?

Thanks!

• chazer118
    2 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:21 PM

HI there, I'm playing about a month longer than you and like you as I progressed thru the tiers found that the scores were going up. First, I changed the driver and balls, then the putter and then the irons. Wedges are important, get ones that give you stopping power on the greens.

Hope this helps a little.

• crgade
    490 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:24 PM

what clubs/course you playing?   Best advice go back to basics hit fairways and greens do not aim for flags center of green.  Sounds simple but usually works for me when I screw up my game by trying ti finesse to much. GL

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:05 PM

I am by no means an expert on here but I will point to something that I noticed right away that is killing your scores. This is your stats and the biggest thing that is hurting you is your scrambling and sand saves. I think if you can get these up to around 50% + you will find your scoring will go up. You have to work on your pitching, chipping, punching and flopping around the greens.

Green in Regulation % 46.59%
    Avg. Distance to Pin 28 Ft.
    Holed Approach Shots 4
    Sand Save % 15.58%
    Scrambling % 23.40%

• lkchesnut
    67 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:32 PM

SGTBilko - Thanks for the advice.  I would be the 1st to agree on my stats.  Just can't seem the find that "groove" around the greens, but I'm working on it.  I've been tinkering with my clubs and just went back to what I felt comfortable with and hopefully time will tell.  Again THANKS!

• 6packmike
    235 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 7:02 PM

lkchesnut:

Actually I'm not a "newbie" but my recent scores don't prove it.  Been playing about a month now and have progressed to L32 and Tour Pro but my score average is getting worse by the day.  I know practice makes perfect but I'm beginning to have my doubts.  I know I'm going out on a limb here.....but.......Any Useful Suggestions?

Thanks!

You have some better clubs in your inventory. Here it explains how to equip them and more. http://wgt.com/forums/t/24647.aspx

• Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 6:03 AM

What is sand save and scrambling and how to get them higher?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 6:59 AM

A sand save is when you save par after going into a trap. Scrambling is when you miss the green in regulation (GIR) and still par.

For instance, on a par 3 where you miss the green and get up and down in 2 shots you "saved" your par. It usually involves only 1 putt so to increase your scrambling % you work on your short game-chips,pitches and flops.

The same applies to your sand trap play. Work on getting out closer to the pin for that makeable 1 putt. Flops and pitches work great from traps. GL

• Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:04 AM

Ah, I understand now. Thank you.

RSS