Thu, Aug 14 2014 6:57 PM

i just turned 27!

• ScottHope
    10,357 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 1:33 AM

PCEA Save Replays

Use Windows 10's built in recorder

Use OBS, carry on reading...

Following on from my previous rambles about creating replays in the new game. If you use OBS Studio for streaming, you probably know that you can record with it as well. I've been mucking about with OBS Studio for a few days and it appears to have a replay buffer option, which you can use to save a short recording of a good shot, should you wish to. Again, it works like a dash cam, recording in a loop of a time period that you can specify, and if you tie a hotkey to it, you can just mash that hotkey to get your shot saved. It's not necessary to stream or even record your game (or whatever else you might be doing), to be able to do this, you just have to have OBS Studio running and the replay buffer enabled.

To enable the replay buffer, just go into OBS's settings, select Output in the left panel, then check the Enable Replay Buffer checkbox...

...underneath that you can specify how long you want the replays to be and the max memory usage. I did a couple of one minute test recordings at a resolution of 1920 x 1200 @ 60fps and the file size came out at 22MBs.

You can specify where you want your recordings to be saved in the Recording>Recording Path input box just above the replay buffer section.

When you enable the replay buffer you should get an extra button added to your controls...

...when you click the Start Replay Buffer button, another button will appear...

...if you don't set up a hotkey for the save replay, you will need to click the button with the down arrow to record your shot. Don't click the Stop Replay Buffer, that needs to be left running until you stop playing or don't want to create anymore replays.

Please note that this replay feature records a past event. You don't have to guess whether or not your next shot is going to be the good one that will need saving and press the button to start recording, the recording is already happening as you are playing, pressing the button saves a recording of the shot you have already made (a past event) not a shot you are about to make (a future event).

To make a hotkey for the replay button, go back into OBS's settings and select Hotkeys in the left panel, then scroll down to Replay Buffer. The replay buffer hotkey section will not appear unless you have previously checked the Enable Replay Buffer in the Output settings.

Select the Save Replay box, and press the keys you want as your hotkey/s, e.g., CTRL SHIFT R then click OK and you're done.

I hope that make sense. ; )

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 10:25 AM

Happy Birthday    .....27  was when I was the strongest   in my life ....  enjoy it cause you will wake up on day and you will be 30 ,time pass  to fast after 27......lolllll    Have a good day young man. Frapp

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 2:21 PM

dkjhunt:

i just turned 27!

27 And in the Senior Citizens CC..... An old soul :)

- WGTdbloshoe

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 3:18 PM

frappefort:
    enjoy it cause you will wake up on day and you will be 30

Or 39!  Time marches on.  :/

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 3:37 PM

Or 62, you young whipper snappers. I have a 21 year old grandson, loves to have a cold one with his favorite person, his PaPa.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 3:49 PM

dkjhunt:

i just turned 27!

I wish I knew then, what I know now :)

RSS