Forums

Help › Forums

Around the Greens

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:59 PM (2 replies)
  • BobbyJones42
    12 Posts
    Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:36 PM

Only been playing about a month. Was hoping this would be more realistic but there's something I must be missing completely. When using a SW or PW from a short distance off the green, why doesn't the ball get up more than knee high? If a SW lob has a max of 24 yds., why does a max on the meter shot only travel like 10 yards? How am I screwing this up? Thanks. 

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:57 PM

BobbyJones42:

Only been playing about a month. Was hoping this would be more realistic but there's something I must be missing completely. When using a SW or PW from a short distance off the green, why doesn't the ball get up more than knee high? If a SW lob has a max of 24 yds., why does a max on the meter shot only travel like 10 yards? How am I screwing this up? Thanks. 

Make sure to look at the shot type you are using.  Around the green you have different options to use depending on lie and location.  I almost exclusively use the flop shot from around the green.

- WGTdbloshoe

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:59 PM

Different problems come together:

- Starter wedges which have lousy characteristics => solve with two short custom wedges, Ping 60 + 90 yds or ATV 50 + 77 yds, and custom balls if you want to.

- Shot recommendations around the green are misleading to say the least - outright wrong in the majority of cases.

There are Chip and Pitch Tips in the FAQs =>

Some general hints:

- Only use the chip when the ball will land on the green or fringe (ca. 25% carry),

- only use the pitch when landing on FW or green/fringe (50-70 % carry).

This excludes most rough and bunker shots, use punch or full shot instead.

Flop will only work with really good wedges and costly balls.

RSS