Forums

Help › Forums

the 19th hole?

Thu, Sep 25 2014 9:32 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 9:12 AM

I was recently contesting that the 19th hole referred to the clubhouse bar, while my friend insisted it referred to another hole that depended much on him 'getting lucky' that night with his girlfriend.

Whether it's 18 holes and knocking back a few or 18 holes and .... well you get the idea, it was good to see that sense prevailed as he conceded that the clubhouse bar must be the 19th hole.

It therefore makes sense that the hole he was referring to must be the 20th hole which though usually visited after the 19th hole with much hope, anticipation, optimism and alcohol fuelled confidence but sadly is often thwarted by slurred speech, stumbling, slow reflexes and a partner who for some reason just doesn't realize how lucky she is to have this talented golfer at her disposal.

We agreed that after a successful 18th and 19th, it is in fact the 20th that is a true mark of achievement, overcoming the odds in the face of adversity.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 9:45 AM

PRStevenson:

I was recently contesting that the 19th hole referred to the clubhouse bar, while my friend insisted it referred to another hole that depended much on him 'getting lucky' that night with his girlfriend.

Whether it's 18 holes and knocking back a few or 18 holes and .... well you get the idea, it was good to see that sense prevailed as he conceded that the clubhouse bar must be the 19th hole.

It therefore makes sense that the hole he was referring to must be the 20th hole which though usually visited after the 19th hole with much hope, anticipation, optimism and alcohol fuelled confidence but sadly is often thwarted by slurred speech, stumbling, slow reflexes and a partner who for some reason just doesn't realize how lucky she is to have this talented golfer at her disposal.

We agreed that after a successful 18th and 19th, it is in fact the 20th that is a true mark of achievement, overcoming the odds in the face of adversity.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 5:10 AM

lol, thanks Paul. What time should I come back tomorrow?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 6:05 AM

The 20th hole requires all of the guile you own just to play it. It is a long, hilly, double dog-leg with high rough and a tight fairway. The green is immense and makes Merion greens seem as a billiard table. The trick is to hit as many putts as possible, especially the tap-ins. The most skilled at the 20th, drink club soda at the 19th.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 6:32 AM

Would you agree that "touch" is the most precious technique there?

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 9:37 AM

I'm showing great restraint for not commenting here.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 6:02 PM

alosso:

Would you agree that "touch" is the most precious technique there?

Well Mr. A, as I'm sure you know, touch & feel are perhaps the most treasured attributes.

"Bartender ? You may freshen my Manhattan and Dr. Alosso shall have another Club Soda"   ;-}

• StingerWelsh
    1,021 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 8:58 PM

SweetiePie:
    The most skilled at the 20th, drink club soda at the 19th.

No wonder I was married three times. (sigh)

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 9:06 PM

I'd rather take an alcohol-free wheat beer from Bavaria - good to have some isotonic drink during athletic action.

To your health, Sweetie!

P.S. You know what unifies Golf and Sex?

Both may be enjoyed regardless of skills.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 9:31 PM

Touche !   "Bartender ? Serve the Dr. a chilled Bavaria Wheat Shirley Temple if you have  it..if not, a Erdinger will do...oh, and lose the Club Soda"

• PAGES
RSS