Forums

Help › Forums

Greetings! Allow me to introduce myself ...

Thu, Sep 25 2014 8:32 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ugsigor
    3 Posts
    Tue, Sep 23 2014 7:21 PM

I'm a long-time resident of Humboldt County, California, and love to practice on the driving range, though I only get out for an actual round a couple of times a year.

I've really enjoyed playing WGT by myself and have just discovered the social component of the game, which leads to a few questions.

Do country clubs cost credits?  It's fine if they do, I just haven't yet seen information on that.

How do you find the right fit?  By my stats you can see I'm pretty green ... still working my way up the ranks and down the stroke average.  But what the stats don't show is that I take my game seriously and work at improving it, both on the range and the computer.

I'm married (17 years), deeply into Zen Buddhism (so you know there will be no tirades), gardening, playing the bass, cards, and of course, golf.

Hello, WGT!

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 10:40 AM

ugsigor:

I'm a long-time resident of Humboldt County, California, and love to practice on the driving range, though I only get out for an actual round a couple of times a year.

I've really enjoyed playing WGT by myself and have just discovered the social component of the game, which leads to a few questions.

Do country clubs cost credits?  It's fine if they do, I just haven't yet seen information on that.

How do you find the right fit?  By my stats you can see I'm pretty green ... still working my way up the ranks and down the stroke average.  But what the stats don't show is that I take my game seriously and work at improving it, both on the range and the computer.

I'm married (17 years), deeply into Zen Buddhism (so you know there will be no tirades), gardening, playing the bass, cards, and of course, golf.

Hello, WGT!

Welcome to the game.  Joining a Country Club does not cost any credits.

- WGTdbloshoe

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 12:47 PM

I sent a Club Invite, just accept and as Shoe pointed out it`s free. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 12:56 PM

ugsigor:
    Humboldt County

Lucky you...best weed in California ! Or so I'm told ;- }..... Anyway, you are going to love it here...either way !    ~ SP ~

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:21 PM

ugsigor:
    deeply into Zen Buddhism (so you know there will be no tirades)

Well that alone should take you off moderation! Most of us are also calm, level headed and respectful of each other in the forums...cough cough, splutter....moving right on.

Welcome to the game, and have fun, that is what the game is about, not the scores you shoot.

This game is not easy to learn well, like the real game but is possible with practice and most players are willing to help new players - feel free to hit me up for a game if I am green.

Ask for advice in the forums and search the forum for advice as there is a plethora of great tips and information that will assist your progress in WGT, but this will not transpire to real golf.

You know you play too much WGT when on the real course you shout out DING when you hit it perfectly.

Finally a cautionary note to SP - Zen Buddhism is purportedly the natural (and legal) way of achieving peace within ones self!

Personally, I have never tried either - could explain my pent up anger lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 2:02 PM

alanti:

Finally a cautionary note to SP - Zen Buddhism is purportedly the natural (and legal) way of achieving peace within ones self!

0h. Is that the one with the chubby guy with the big belly button they do in the himalayas ? I don't know if it will catch on, but Humbolt is a fine place to try.

• DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 2:15 PM

SweetiePie:
     Lucky you...best weed in California !

“Humboldt marijuana guaranteed to make you cough and laugh it off.”-Merle Haggard

Good way to deal with missed putts and WTF shots...

• ugsigor
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 10:53 AM

Thanks for the invitation.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how to best choose a club.

What is expected of you when you join up?

What makes a good club member vs. one who you wish you never extended that invite in the first place?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 12:51 PM

ugsigor:

This varies club to club and you are better off asking the owner of what their expectations are.

For most clubs it is about participation - in CC Tournaments, events and forums. Choose a club that will fit you, some CC's have low participation rates so if you want tournaments, look at how many members play in them. Some CC's just play casually together in A/S and Skype etc.

I am a member of a small club, and that is the way I, and all the members want it - so we know most of the members and we do not just become a number. The bigger clubs however you can meet more players and opens more options up if you are looking for a game.

There are some really great clubs out there, and some that really do very little, so ask the owners about participation, expectations etc, and if things do not pan out there is nothing stopping you from moving on,

The benefits if you do find a great club, the members become like family - and you are loyal to them, and vice versa.

• ugsigor
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 25 2014 1:03 PM

alanti:

ugsigor:

This varies club to club and you are better off asking the owner of what their expectations are.

For most clubs it is about participation - in CC Tournaments, events and forums. Choose a club that will fit you, some CC's have low participation rates so if you want tournaments, look at how many members play in them. Some CC's just play casually together in A/S and Skype etc.

I am a member of a small club, and that is the way I, and all the members want it - so we know most of the members and we do not just become a number. The bigger clubs however you can meet more players and opens more options up if you are looking for a game.

There are some really great clubs out there, and some that really do very little, so ask the owners about participation, expectations etc, and if things do not pan out there is nothing stopping you from moving on,

The benefits if you do find a great club, the members become like family - and you are loyal to them, and vice versa.

That was so helpful.

It sounds like each club is different, so forgive me for trying to pin this down to a number, but generally speaking are we talking about a tournament every night, every week, every month?

I suppose that gets back to asking the owner.  At this point I think a once-a-week game is more my speed.  But that's just a guess as I haven't the experience yet.  

And the "family" thing ... so long as the family doesn't mind a member who values his privacy and is somewhat distant, then I might be a fit for someone.  But again, until I actually experience things I shouldn't speculate too much.

Thanks for the info.

• PAGES
RSS