Forums

Help › Forums

First IRL Ace

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:04 PM (6 replies)
  • Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 9:15 AM

Finally got my first ace IRL! I've been playing 6 and a half years now and I'm a +1 hcp, so you would think it wouldn't take that long, but it did...It was Towanda Country Club on the 14th hole, a very short but sharply uphill and semi-blind shot...My laser gave me 96 yds, and I figured 96 +10 for the hill -1 for the bounce and +3 for the wind. So I chopped of a little PW (my gaps are PW 117, GW 106, SW 97) since I didn't want to hit a relatively hard GW. Then I got up there, I saw my pitch mark 6 ft short of the hole but no ball. I looked over the green, and nothing., so I finally looked in the hole, and there it was. Piece of mud on it and everything. So while that may have been the highlight, that was coming off of 3 straight birdies at 11, 12, and the very difficult 13th. Then for good measure I birdied the par 5 15th after the ace...So I ended up not only making an ace but also shooting 65...I'll take it I guess...

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 11:02 PM

Wow that's incredible!

The golf course looks fabby!

Here's the hole you got the HIO on:

http://www.towandacountryclub.com/Golf-Course.html#anchor_117

Fantastic achievement! And you scored 65!!!!!

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 1:31 PM

Yup that is the hole although it looks different irl. The camera used to take all of the photos for that course tour did not do justice to how hilly it is. The hole is a little more uphill and the sand is more prominent in front. But as you can see it was semi-blind so I was robbed of being able to see it drop lol.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:30 PM

Congrats Will. Still searching for mine. Been close a few times and hit the pin. Even had 1 stop in it's pitchmark 2in short of the hole.

I've got a feeling it's gonna come on this hole at my local club. Similar distance at 106yds

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:47 PM

Yeah it's tricky business to try and get one, I know I had my fair share of close calls including a few that destroyed the hole and stopped a couple inches away. Funny enough, that ace I made was in my first time seeing that course, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. All it takes is one good shot getting lucky! 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 2:52 PM

Congratulations to this BIG! achievement!

Willsstrs:
    All it takes is one good shot getting lucky! 
    I agree full-heartedly!

Nevertheless, my talking, driven by experience, is, "It takes two bad shots to produce a birdie!" - been there (on a Par 3), done that!

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:04 PM

alosso:

Congratulations to this BIG! achievement!

Willsstrs:
    All it takes is one good shot getting lucky! 
    I agree full-heartedly!

Nevertheless, my talking, driven by experience, is, "It takes two bad shots to produce a birdie!" - been there (on a Par 3), done that!

Thanks

also yeah thats true! I've also had great days where I flag everything and make putts but somehow shoot 80 and others where I play terribly and shoot 68. It's only a matter of which shot the ball goes in the hole. Thinning one and having it roll to a foot is the same as puring one over the flag and draining a 30 footer. If only I could figure out how to make all my good shots end up good lol

RSS