Forums

Help › Forums

Stephen Ding's Hall of Golf Horror

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 11 2014 11:40 AM (4 replies)
  • SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 5:17 AM

I created this after having a slightly hellish nightmare on RSG #18.

I'd like to create a space where we can cry, cringe, and commiserate.

Anyhow, on to RSG #18.

I should preface this by saying that I haven't mapped out all the greens yet and have been playing mostly by memory.  I think it's a little more fun and I just haven't much felt like making too many notes.  Well, that hurt today.

I started the back with a bogie, and then made a par on the 11th.  From there, I made 6 consecutive birds and was feeling quite the Tour Master, so I began my descent down #18 on the way to my sure-thing 7th bird.  Woohoo.

Hit my approach a tad short and it bounced off the downslope of the front of the green and rolled way past the pin.  The putt was crazy.  I had a fine ridge to work along with a sheer drop a few inches to the right.  It was about 7 inches downhill and I could only aim so far to the left.  I hit my shot and it looked really good at first.  It made it past the hell slide into Cadillac SUV tree hell...almost.  Caught the last edge and the ball flew down faster than Elin down the driveway with a 3-iron.

Ball ended up off the green and I had to hit up 21 yds onto the ledge with about 3 ft to the pin from the ledge.  I hit it crisp and it landed on the brim.  It could have gone either way, but like Dennis Rodman, made the painfully wrong choice.  Down the ball came again.  My own fault for trying to baby it up there, I said.  So, I'm sitting at 4 shots and my bird is gone, ostensibly flying over the clubhouse looking to take a Mickleson-sized poop on Tom Watson.

I was resolved to get it up (I'll let that one go...), so I hit it well past and had a 21 footer for double.

I was lucky and escaped with a double, but it was horrifying, and I'll be sure to never become complacent again...unless it's St. Andrew's.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 6:46 AM

Looks like this is gonna be my venting forum from now on.

Merion

-3 after the 5th hole (which is always good).

On the 8th?, with 7-9 side wind, my drive flew 310 and bounced into heavy brush.  Ended up with a double.

10th

Hit my 3-iron to 84 so I could play my mid-wedge.  Again, 7-9 side wind.  Played it about 8  yards to the right of the pin.  The ball is DING'd but ends up in the bunker to the left of the pin.

Sitting 30-40% with 7yds to the pin.  Hit it just past half on my 50yd wedge.  Ball sits in lip brush.

Lip brush shot sitting 60-70%.  Punch out at double weight.  Goes two inches.

Brush shot at 30-40%.  Punch out just under double.  Stays in rough.

Rough 4yd pitch.  Hit it nicely and it rolls to the pin...and stops at 2 inches.

Triple Bogey.

BS.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 6:50 AM

SoKoSteve:

Looks like this is gonna be my venting forum from now on.

Merion

-3 after the 5th hole (which is always good).

On the 8th?, with 7-9 side wind, my drive flew 310 and bounced into heavy brush.  Ended up with a double.

10th

Hit my 3-iron to 84 so I could play my mid-wedge.  Again, 7-9 side wind.  Played it about 8  yards to the right of the pin.  The ball is DING'd but ends up in the bunker to the left of the pin.

Sitting 30-40% with 7yds to the pin.  Hit it just past half on my 50yd wedge.  Ball sits in lip brush.

Lip brush shot sitting 60-70%.  Punch out at double weight.  Goes two inches.

Brush shot at 30-40%.  Punch out just under double.  Stays in rough.

Rough 4yd pitch.  Hit it nicely and it rolls to the pin...and stops at 2 inches.

Triple Bogey.

BS.

Hole #12

Played over 50 times I'm sure and never has my drive been able to make the rough.  Side wind (again 7-9) and a bit off my driver and it bounces into the rough at 30-40%.

Fun times.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:45 AM

SoKoSteve:

Ball ended up off the green and I had to hit up 21 yds onto the ledge with about 3 ft to the pin from the ledge.  I hit it crisp and it landed on the brim.  It could have gone either way, but like Dennis Rodman, made the painfully wrong choice.  Down the ball came again.  

lol something similar happened to me on Kia 9, during my last hole with a few Birds under my belt. It's that back left pin.

Usually I hit it early and the sand sucks it up, or it's too long and rolls past the pin. Even with the experience of knowing, and after a few waggles, I hit it early (again, PSYCHED; my friend) so I'm in the sand and the pin is close. A little miscalculation in BS or power can have 2 bad outcomes - the ball doesn't rise to the green or the ball makes it and rolls past. It was #1.

Second time I played that course yesterday she went too long, even after a seasoned calculation, maybe a tad of TS and the ball rolled near the back fringe. Missed the approx 27 footer by 2 inches.

I should try a shot w/ a nice ball and BS ? 

Anyone else know that pin placement on Kia 9? Back left..I guess landing it a little shorter, around 4-5 o clock may be the best effort , maybe she'll roll more to the hole and not past, and for crying out loud, don't hook it into the sand. (talking to myself again)

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 11:40 AM

JFidanza:

SoKoSteve:

Ball ended up off the green and I had to hit up 21 yds onto the ledge with about 3 ft to the pin from the ledge.  I hit it crisp and it landed on the brim.  It could have gone either way, but like Dennis Rodman, made the painfully wrong choice.  Down the ball came again.  

lol something similar happened to me on Kia 9, during my last hole with a few Birds under my belt. It's that back left pin.

Usually I hit it early and the sand sucks it up, or it's too long and rolls past the pin. Even with the experience of knowing, and after a few waggles, I hit it early (again, PSYCHED; my friend) so I'm in the sand and the pin is close. A little miscalculation in BS or power can have 2 bad outcomes - the ball doesn't rise to the green or the ball makes it and rolls past. It was #1.

Second time I played that course yesterday she went too long, even after a seasoned calculation, maybe a tad of TS and the ball rolled near the back fringe. Missed the approx 27 footer by 2 inches.

I should try a shot w/ a nice ball and BS ? 

Anyone else know that pin placement on Kia 9? Back left..I guess landing it a little shorter, around 4-5 o clock may be the best effort , maybe she'll roll more to the hole and not past, and for crying out loud, don't hook it into the sand. (talking to myself again)

I've only ever had success aiming for mid-green on that hole and trying to keep it on with the back-left pin.  It's a par/bogey hole for me.

RSS