Help › Forums

wind & putting charts

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:28 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 7:12 AM

I need help desperately in trying to get the "stand alone program for wind and putting"

by SGTBilko. I just shot 83 and most of the terrible score was because of guessing

how far to hit with the wind. I did miss some putts, but when you are constantly putting

from long range, or are banging it out of the rough, you are going to make

bogeys or worse. I do have have a Mac computer, so if anyone can help, I would

be much obliged. I enjoy the game, but it is no fun when you are guessing on every shot.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 10:52 AM

Lookup putting excel files here... most of the good ones are in that format I find. I found Bilko's to be way outdated and just wrong so much of the time.

Contact Lizard69, not sure if he still has his available or not, at the very least watch his video's or ladyluck87 watch her beginner putting video, very easy to follow what she's doing and why.

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 10:58 AM

IBTRYIN:

I need help desperately in trying to get the "stand alone program for wind and putting"

by SGTBilko. I just shot 83 and most of the terrible score was because of guessing

how far to hit with the wind. I did miss some putts, but when you are constantly putting

from long range, or are banging it out of the rough, you are going to make

bogeys or worse. I do have have a Mac computer, so if anyone can help, I would

be much obliged. I enjoy the game, but it is no fun when you are guessing on every shot.

Hi,

I use a Mac computer also.  here's the putting chart i use with "putter pal"...works great and you should like it...sry no wind charts do I have...copy & paste this posting 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:07 PM
    I found it more fun guessing every shot. If there were accurate charts for everything it wouldn't be worth playing.
  • Marco129
    275 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:45 PM

For my clubs and balls, I use the following as a general rule of thumb:

(Shots hit with full backspin)

Straight against the wind, add 1 yd for every mph of wind.

Wind from a 90 degree angle, aim 1 yd to the side for each mph of wind.

Full tail wind, subtract 1 yd for every 2 mph of wind.

These general general guides to get you started.

Tweeking (as always) will be required.

I hope this helps,

- Mark

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:46 PM

courteneyfish:
    I found it more fun guessing every shot. If there were accurate charts for everything it wouldn't be worth playing.

I ride the same train. There are many here addicted to charts, calculators, arithmetic, bio-rhythems, horoscopes and so on; and they play quite well. Some of the bigger "hot dogs" do likewise. 0h, I've tried all that stuff, and it takes time and effort. Problem was, I would still miss, and realize my guesses were just about as good, with no anger or frustration included....but whatever works best in the fun department works best for me.  ~ SP ~

ps - "Kats Calculator" is likely "best of"  what you seek. Just ask DaddysKat for one and she will down-load it to you....of course, while free, a sleeve of balls is a swell gesture

• IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 2:22 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. I am not here to become a superhero or golf legend.

I just enjoy the game. I just played a practice round, and with the help of the putting

chart, I was able to make a few putts, but more importantly I wasn't running the putts

10 feet by or leaving them 10 feet short. Some players are out here for the thrill of the

hunt. For me, it is just fun. Thanks again, IBTRYIN.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:35 PM

There are some complicated calcs out there, and I will leave those aside.  Personally my calcs are v simple and do me.  They will serve as a base for you to enjoy all courses all conditions though, and you will need something for that to shoot well.

Pro Green (stimp 9??) add a foot inside 15 feet, and the +/- elevation.  After 15' that take 90% of the distance.  Base calc I would say to try out get a feel for, and then adjust as needed having learnt your putter.  Generally a putter will have better balance with the shallower scales.  Remember balance is important as it is the measurement of grouping distance wise for a group of putts, and the smaller the grouping the better (therefore the better the balance the better, and especially if you set the meter scale deep.  Remember to read the topography of putts though from behind the avatar feet to beyond the  hole, and personally I prefer the firm line finishing 3' past if miss.

Wind - 5MPH +/- 2%; 7 MPH +/- 7 %, and 10MPH 4%.  Also remember elevation which is 1 yard extra for every 3' up, and 75% that value down.

E.g. 150 out, 10 MPH head wind (HW) up 30  IS 150 = elevation of 10  = 160 increased by 4% = grand distance of say 167 yards needed.

OOther ways exist ranging from this through to complicated stuff.  This is a good start though, and will get you a feel for distances in this game with .5 seconds a hole on real slow mornings:)....Remember some holes do just play a little different, and you need to go with that.  

Lastly do not go swapping balls and expect yardages just to stay the same, and all clubs must be mapped to understand spin settings / no spin (latter more important at this stage at any rate), and I suggest BPB B9 ( low cross wind for that using the first 3 holes there.

Really is 3 seconds a shot calc wise, but the rest is hole knowledge / your club ball combo ( club mapping ) knowledge.

Cheers

• IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 5:19 PM

Jimbog1964,

Thanks for the info. Any help I can get to help me understand the wind a little better,

will make this game a bit more fun for me. Thanks again.

• IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Sun, Nov 2 2014 5:20 PM

Jimbog1964,

Thanks for the info. Any help I can get to help me understand the wind a little better,

will make this game a bit more fun for me. Thanks again.

• PAGES
RSS