Forums

Help › Forums

Do you know someone who's deaf?

Fri, Nov 21 2014 8:57 PM (5 replies)
  • mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 9 2014 5:16 PM

Do you have a family member, friend or maybe a co-worker that is deaf or hearing impaired?

If you don't already know, there is a new product being launched next year called UNI from a company called MotionSavvy. It is a computer tablet that turns sign language to voice and voice to text. It's an incredible tool to help the deaf community and the hearing community interact.

They are crowd-sourcing on Indiegogo right now and will launch in the Fall of 2015.

At work I have someone on my team that is deaf and my company has already put down their deposit on a UNI and we've been put on a list to be a beta tester in the Spring of next year.

Below is a video of the product and a link to their website.

http://www.motionsavvy.com/

Full disclosure- I have nothing to do with the company that is creating this product. I just know these forums reach a broad audience and wanted to make people aware of this incredible new technology in case it they haven't heard about it yet.

MC

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Sun, Nov 9 2014 6:24 PM

MrCaddie .  Here is my Idea .  Instead of WGT gifting out , They match the $ amount of the "Santas " that take part of the next give away .

OPY 

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 9 2014 6:53 PM

Opy-

Ironically, Motionsavvy is based in San Francisco where WGT lives. The concept for the idea and the technology developed was started at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. When they got some funding they moved to San Francisco.

MC

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 9 2014 7:05 PM

mrcaddie:
    he concept for the idea and the technology developed was started at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. When they got some funding they moved to San Francisco.

The fund raising portion may have moved to SF but NTID-National Technical Institute for the Deaf- remains here in Rochester as a college of RIT. It is the largest college in the world for deaf and hearing impaired students.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sun, Nov 9 2014 8:24 PM

Austin Texas has a good school for the deaf. A friend of mine just retired from there after teaching for 30 some years. I am classified as profoundly deaf and it is corrected with hearing aids. I hear at about 85% of normal.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2014 8:57 PM

Time magazine just announced in this weeks issue a list of "The 25 Best Inventions of 2014" and this product, the UNI from Motionsavvy is on their list.

RSS