Forums

Help › Forums

Help wanted....Santas needed, Christmas 2014

Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:41 AM (109 replies)
  • mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 7:42 AM

mantis0014:

Count me in to be a Santa :)     Just a wonderful time of year and we all should help out.

Just a sml question and/or suggestion.  I presume Eastern time is Wgt Time?   not sure. Maybe you or somebody else starts the Day with the set Template with our Santa name in it. Just saying the new day starts when I'm asleep and won't be able to post the message until half the day has gone.

Hey Roger-

Thanks for joining us, you have day 2 (December 2nd).

I completely understand your concern about the timezone issue but if days overlap....that's when we run into problems. There is nothing more frustrating than when you're having fun playing Santa and then the next Santa posts early and completely takes the wind out of the sail on you're day because everyone else is moving on to the next day. I know, because it's happened to me before. That's why I put in the thing about all days being set to Eastern Time.

I hope you understand.

You know, during one of the past events, I set my alarm for 2am, got up wrote my post, went back to bed, went to the office for 9 hours and by the time I got home my thread was so full of responses I finished my day in about four hours. So, it can be done.

Thanks again Roger.

MC

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 7:44 AM

I would like to offer my sevices as a Santa for this years 24 days of Christmas please Mrcaddie.

Russell

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 7:47 AM

Count me in also ,        I look forward  to this time of the year ........  

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 7:49 AM

patriciawilliams:
    Sounds awesome MC!

Patricia-

You are signed! I signed you up for Day 3 (December 3rd).

I can't thank you enough for your continued support of these events.

Thanks again.

MC

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 7:56 AM

WGTdbloshoe:
    WGT will take the 24th!  Great to see this going again this year. 

Hey Shoe-

Sure you can have the 24th (Christmas Eve, December 24th). Great to see WGT joining us once again.

MC

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 8:31 AM

alosso:
    I suppose it's easier this way for US Santas to start their thread before and at midnight.

Alosso-

Thanks for all the info about the time zones.

I would like to be clear about one thing. I set the time zone thing for me and me alone, there is no bias toward US players. This event is open to everyone, I don't care where people are from.

The problem I have is that WGT is a game played by people from all over the world and I can't accommodate everyone.

Roger's Dec 2nd is my Dec 1st, if I had Day 1 and he had Day 2 we'd both be posting on the same day and that's just too confusing for everyone.

I set the time zone to my time zone because the one thing I can do for everyone that plays Santa is to help keep their "Day" on the front page. I monitor every single day of these events to help put out all the little fires that seem to pop up.

You know, every time I run one of these events I hear from players like you that help me make the next one even better. So maybe next year I'll use WGT's time zone, that way we're all on the same clock (if you know what I mean).

So, thanks for that!

(and see my response to Roger)

MC

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 8:40 AM

alcaucin:
    Count me in MC

Andy-

Thanks buddy! You got it, I'll give you Day 4 (Dec 4th).

Thanks for joining us again in the festivities.

MC

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 8:59 AM

I have a couple of questions that I hope will not be frowned upon.

I understand that the event does not want people asking for items more than once.

Well, what if on a certain day a perspective qualifying (may want to clarify that for ALL) person asks for a driver that has a 2500 credit cost, but all Santas on that day are on a budget (we all are) and can not afford to gift that amount.

Now, does that make that person invalid to come another day to ask again?

I am fairly certain this is going to happen, and would like to know how that will be handled? People are going to be denied for whatever reason ??, and followers may become hesitant to ask.

Refusal is harsh in itself. However if there is an innocuous explanation to said asker it may not put a taint on everything to follow.

I also see you are awarding a day to what seems to be a single person. Is that person responsible for only one gift per day vs the CC thing of last year?

Just wondering.

Pee

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:24 AM

mrcaddie:
    I set the time zone to my time zone because the one thing I can do for everyone that plays Santa is to help keep their "Day" on the front page.

Here is a hand link to convert your time zone when planning your day to be Santa.

Time Zone Converter

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like. I used Florida as EST and Sydney Australia for an example.

And the result is what that local time will be.

I hope this we help the Santas to make their posting less  stressful .

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 16 2014 10:07 AM

jayw4862:

Since I've already let you know I'm in, I'd like to bring up the fact that many player's posts may be moderated and might not show up on that day. 

Maybe each Santa could wait 48 hours after "their" own post before checking the list and gifting. Just a thought.

Jay-

You got it! Day 5 (Dec 5th) is all yours.

As to your point about moderation, I've run enough of these to know that the newer player's posts will find their way into each thread. I don't even concern myself with that any more.

It should be noted though, I believe in past events I stated that we were looking to help the newer players get their first upgrade....I didn't say that this year. As far as I'm concerned this event is open to every member of WGT. I think it was last year when I finally realized that I was discriminating against the vast majority of the community by only sending gifts to the newer players.

I don't care if you're a Hack or a Tour Legend, everyone deserves gifts at Christmastime.

Jay, this next part is not directed at you personally (it's just so I don't have to go type it somewhere else, lol).

If Santas want to continue to gift to newer players, that's up to them. Just don't post that fact in your thread.

Jay (now back to you)-

As far as the whole 48 hour thing, that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen! That would turn this event into the "48 Days of Christmas" and would bring us into the middle of January.

To put things into perspective for people-

Right now it is 12:55pm, I have been awake for about 6 hours....I haven't eaten breakfast yet, I haven't showered yet and I'm still sitting here in bed and have done anything but respond to this thread and answer private messages. When I think I'm answering my last pm, my light goes green again. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I love doing these events.  But if you think I want to do this for 48 straight days, no way!!!!!

Oh look, my "message light" is green again! lol

Thanks for joining us Jay.

MC

RSS