"legend players"

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:22 PM (29 replies)
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:22 AM

YankeeJim:

siggipj76:

I have even heard of TL's giving all tips and putting secrets to pro level players ! 

that is cheating in my opinion ! 

I don't understand what you mean here and I don't think it's a language barrier.

I know of a TL that gave all his data and told a new player how to play this game 

the new player used that data ,and how to aim on putts

and took a killing in games.

I think that this is against all those that play the game and try win ?

might just be me ? if so then ok.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:25 AM

PaulTon:

siggipj76:

I wrote in bad english that some give 100% to amateur /pro players

and give unfair advantage to some. 

Huh? What's wrong with a top TL passing on all his knowledge to ANY other player?

And to call it "cheating" or "unfair" is risible.

Surprising post from such a well respected player and forum contributer. 

I did give a respone ,  if you still feel that way ! then I need to apologise

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:31 AM

I do apologise, I think that I have been misunderstood and I will take it  back, anything I have said / written was stupid of me  , I hope that nobody took offense to it.

Siggi 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:59 AM

siggipj76:

I know of a TL that gave all his data and told a new player how to play this game 

the new player used that data ,and how to aim on putts

and took a killing in games.

I think that this is against all those that play the game and try win ?

might just be me ? if so then ok.

I can see where you're coming from. No need for apologies and certainly not to me bud.

But even if given all the tips in the world there are no real magic tricks in WGT.

All that knowledge has to be applied and practiced, and also has to be learned and tweaked for each course ( and even each individual hole on WGT).

That's why I replied to you saying it was unfair. We're good!

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 7:27 AM

The original point is clearly obvious.   The turning point of the "Legend" losing it's esteem was when WGT turned on the anti-sandbagger policy.  That was originally intended to find those people who were hanging back from becoming Legend so they would have a tee advantage in Ready Goes and Credit MP.  It was also intended to apply to only credits players but it ended up applying across the board.

Soon, you had players that wanted to be a Legend out looking for match play games with Legends so they could tier up faster.  We even had a Legend that allowed a player to beat him in 10 consecutive matchs so he could move up from Master to Legend, then he sent the Legend a set of R11 irons.  Now today, there are hundreds of Legends out there that still haven't the experience to compete off the long tees and whose averages linger in the high 60's to low 70's.

The current "Red Tee Dance" is taking care of that however and once again game play has digressed back from a particular set of skills to a shortcut to a false sense of accomplishment.

It is but a game, and it seems the game rules keep changing. 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 7:31 AM

phiber:

Soon, you had players that wanted to be a Legend out looking for match play games with Legends so they could tier up faster.  We even had a Legend that allowed a player to beat him in 10 consecutive matchs so he could move up from Master to Legend, then he sent the Legend a set of R11 irons.  Now today, there are hundreds of Legends out there that still haven't the experience to compete off the long tees and whose averages linger in the high 60's to low 70's.

The current "Red Tee Dance" is taking care of that however and once again game play has digressed back from a particular set of skills to a shortcut to a false sense of accomplishment.

That's it in a nutshell, good post Phiber.

• gtownmohawks
    955 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 7:40 AM

Not only Legends but TL's too.   Not only are there not ready for prime time TL's but they sport a mid 50 Average like it's some badge of courage/honor.  LMFAO.  The Red Tees are working just as WGT planned.  Let the Ego's of these wannabe's get the best of them and they will play all day long from the red tees no matter how many balls they go through just to strut around cyberspace with a 50 something average.  Pretty funny.

What's wrong with the USGA handicap system?  Maybe it doesn't encourage playing the game all day/week/month long and therefore less ball sales.

Game is becoming nothing more than a money grab.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 7:43 AM

PaulTon:

phiber:

That's it in a nutshell, good post Phiber.

+1

Also once again that new tier to please for those of us that don't care about have a 52 red tee  average (or indeed even a saturated average).  No need for red tee people to be encumbered with it with only real SP rounds counting for entry and once in it a rolling average that is only kept if you play enough real SP rounds.  No need to go mad with any bar height, just some common sense for real tee golfers who also want real rolling stats (start to finish), and etc as done elsewhere over and over.  Not putting red tee people down, just that some feel there is better.  Whether WGT see a market for that % is another matter...Maybe another player option that might magically happen if competition came along perhaps.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:01 PM

gtownmohawks:

Not only Legends but TL's too.   Not only are there not ready for prime time TL's but they sport a mid 50 Average like it's some badge of courage/honor.  LMFAO.  The Red Tees are working just as WGT planned.  Let the Ego's of these wannabe's get the best of them and they will play all day long from the red tees no matter how many balls they go through just to strut around cyberspace with a 50 something average.  Pretty funny.

What's wrong with the USGA handicap system?  Maybe it doesn't encourage playing the game all day/week/month long and therefore less ball sales.

Game is becoming nothing more than a money grab.

I would be for that in a heartbeat.   Average based on current season performances ONLY from your Tier Tees. 

I guess one of the reasons it just doesn't make sense to me is that the game is touted by the owners as being realistic.  There is nothing realistic about these averages.  There is also very little realism when you have a putt that is 9.3' with dots running like crazy from right to left and when you compensate for the break and ding the putt...it goes straight as an arrow.

But once again, it is just a game, and being such, how can it possibly be realistic?

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:22 PM

siggipj76:
    I hope that nobody took offense to it.

I understood the context of what you were saying perfectly, and I as you, do have a working knowledge of the english language.

I found it to be a bit offensive towards others.

Then you posted on my wall telling me I don't know how to read correctly, appropriately or something to that effect. 

If you want to explain yourself and defend your position, insults are not commonly a good start towards communicating with a person.

I sent you a friend request so that you may feel free to convey your point.

I listen to the person, not other opinions, right or wrong.

If you feel you did something wrong perhaps you should take an opportunity when it is presented to you.

Try to be nice. As one poster pointed out, this seems a bit out of character for you.

Pee

RSS