Tragedy in Glasgow, Scotland.

Wed, Dec 24 2014 11:56 AM (29 replies)
  • WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Mon, Dec 22 2014 1:08 PM

PaulTon:

This afternoon -

Six people killed as Glasgow bin lorry crashes into pedestrians

At least seven people are seriously injured in crash in George Square as city centre was crowded with Christmas shoppers.

Six people have been confirmed dead after an out-of-control bin lorry crashed into a group of pedestrians in the centre of Glasgow.

The incident happened as the city centre was crowded with Christmas shoppers on Monday. Witnesses described bodies lying in the road.

Police Scotland declared a major incident. At least seven people were seriously injured.

A police statement said: “A Glasgow city council bin lorry was travelling north on Queen Street when it appeared to strike pedestrians outside the Gallery of Modern Art before continuing to travel towards George Square, when it crashed at the Millennium hotel on Queen Street at George Square.”

Supt Stewart Carle said: “For now it does not look to be a criminal or deliberate act that has taken place here this afternoon, but we need to have time to investigate it.”

Witnesses said they saw the bin lorry driver slumped at the wheel. Carle said the driver had been taken to hospital and was receiving treatment, but would not comment on what he was being treated for.

Carle said: “It’s difficult for all the emergency services but particularly for those people who have been in Glasgow today shopping and getting ready for Christmas. There will be a lot of distressed people.

“But our officers, the ambulance officers, the fire officers, the city council officers, they are all working together as quickly as possible to bring the scene to a conclusion.”

One witness, Melanie Greg, told Sky News the lorry had travelled 150 yards along the pavement until it crashed into a building.

She said: “The bin lorry just lost control. It went along the pavement, knocking everyone like pinballs. There was a baby in a buggy, and it just continued knocking people down until it ended up in the building.

“The only way it stopped was hitting the building. People were trying to run out of the way. But when something was coming out behind them like that, how can they run out of the way?”

Up to six ambulances were at the scene on Monday afternoon, along with the police and fire service. Roads surrounding the city centre have been closed.

Stunned here, m8.

So sad.

Was in town, seen flashing lights in distance and just assumed it was the Xmas decorations around the square. Minutes later one of my lads called me to say he was watching news updates on TV - I still knew nothing at that point.

Thoughts are with the families of the dead & injured.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Dec 22 2014 1:19 PM

jb6000:
    Good Man Mr Stroke, best let us women fight it out

Two cheap guys find their fun in tragedy.

*kotz* - 'nuff said.

• jb6000
    1,231 Posts
    Mon, Dec 22 2014 1:45 PM

well said you silly bunny

• royphillips1
    1,278 Posts
    Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:25 PM

Sad When People find Tragedies abroad A matter of Light Humour but not so funny  when it happens on their own doorsteps There is nothing Humorous At all about Familes and Babies in Prams being Crushed by an out of control Refuge Truck.

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 6:38 AM

Terrible indeed, any time of year. 

royphillips1:
    Refuge Truck

Just to clarify as I am from the colonies

Was the garbage hiding in the lory, as in "taking refuge"

Or was there really refuse (garbage) in the truck?

Inquiring saddened minds want to know.

Where is the self appointed grammar person on such a tragedy?

Every reply to this thread is proof that the posters are affected in some way.

Why someone would post death and destruction in a supposed happy pastime game thread, especially during the holiday season, is beyond me.

I need only turn on the local news if I choose (not), please keep this out of here, and stop the spread of disparaging remarks towards horrific events.

Obviously the OP has been affected, I understand. My world is filled with much worse every day. However this is not the venue to bring such events to. 

Just one persons opinion before the whole place turns into a tragedy itself.

Why is it that private citizens being mangled gets the attention of the community in here, however the young and old alike that fight and die for those very citizens are not given one moments notice in here or the Lame Stream Media?

Pitiful.

Pee

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 9:10 AM
    This post has been deleted.
  • edwardr9189
    772 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 9:13 AM

my home town thoughts go out to all the friends n family of the casulties 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 9:13 AM

ithurtswnipee:

Why someone would post death and destruction in a supposed happy pastime game thread, especially during the holiday season, is beyond me.

I need only turn on the local news if I choose (not), please keep this out of here, and stop the spread of disparaging remarks towards horrific events.

I for one don't have any problem with it what so ever, in fact I like to see "breaking news" from around the world posted what ever it is! That's the purpose of having a specific forum for anything not Golf related...JMHO.

Why is it that private citizens being mangled gets the attention of the community in here, however the young and old alike that fight and die for those very citizens are not given one moments notice in here

They do...and much appreciated!

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/271181/1951463.aspx

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/271125.aspxElectro Savings CU

• edwardr9189
    772 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 9:18 AM

jb6000, you ferkin a$$hole,

If you can't offer commiserations why even reply to a thread that you aren't obvioulsly affected by.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

+1 well said mushy :)

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 10:35 AM

You don't know when your time or the time of your loved ones is up. Every day is precious. Love living, live loving.

• RSS