Help › Forums

wgt - is it sport .

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:01 PM (21 replies)
  • craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 5:37 AM

Is wgt golf games really sport at all?

“.Football and wgt are not that dissimilar,” .There are tournaments, you have to climb up a ladder to eventually compete with the best..In terms of training you have to put in the same amount of hours, perhaps even more in.wgt . You study strategy, technique and opponents. All the elements are there – the excitement, the adrenalin, players crying tears of sorrow and joy.”

Physical exertion in.wgt is minimal, although some players do get struck down with repetitive strain injuries. But the fact that most dictionary definitions of ‘sport’ include the words ‘physical’ or ‘athletic’ hasn’t prevented darts or snooker from shielding under the sporting umbrella..

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 5:55 AM

Um, no, this is not a sport.  It's a game based on a sport.  I doubt anyone thinks fantasy football is a sport either.

Just a game - no more, no less.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:00 AM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's a game based on a game.  Real life golf isn't really a sport either, it's a game.

• craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:48 AM

Rise of the Cyber Athletes: Is computer gaming now a sport?

Story goes out tonight on the bbc .

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:55 AM

For me  Golf   is becoming a real Sport , The  new golfers are in shape .....walk  for two 18 holes in one day  and tell me it is not physical.           Has for WGT golf,  it is a game (virtual) but believe me, some time I feel like I walked two 18holes lollllll.   The competition with great players   has no price and for some of us  WGT  is  part of my daily routine .  

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 8:55 AM

Cartoon golf has been declared a sport by the worlds main sports governing body and will be seen at the 2016 Olympic games.

• Priesum
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 9:13 AM

frappefort:

For me  Golf   is becoming a real Sport , The  new golfers are in shape .....walk  for two 18 holes in one day  and tell me it is not physical.         

Unlike motor sports where you drive everywhere....    ;-)

Kelly

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:48 PM

Then you can ask yourself:

- more of a game or more of a business?

In cards, e.g. Gin Rummy = game

3 Card Monte = business

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 2:38 PM

A person participating in a sport is called as athlete or a sports person. A person who participates in a game is known as player.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:32 PM

The set "games" includes all sports.  The set "sports" does not include all games.

Now there could be exceptions.  Skiing is a sport, for example, but not necessarily a game.  Then again, it's included in the Olympic games.

We need a semanticist.

RSS