Forums

Help › Forums

Look Up !!

Sun, Feb 22 2015 8:40 PM (23 replies)
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Wed, Feb 18 2015 5:35 PM

Yep, very good posts from Dan & Alan.

I have very good Dutch friends in their early forties who visit us bi-annually and stay for 2 - 3 weeks in an apartment we keep upstairs for them.

I noticed a few years ago at breakfast these two and their two friends were all banging away on their smartphones - no conversation at all, and there are six of us sat around on the patio.

So horrified was I, I couldn't stop myself blurting out 'What are y'all doing ?', the reply was a mumbled 'Facebook'

I swore from that day onward I would never ever get to that stage, and nowadays u see it everywhere, in bars, restaurants, coffee shops, every fckin where.

More examples of technology gone mad are heart rate trackers for when u ride ur bicycle, GPS on ur motorbike, in helmet headphone sets . FFS

Smart Phones - Dumb People, yes I like that

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Feb 18 2015 5:51 PM

At 27, I suppose I am still considered a fringe member of the younger group yet I have never belonged in it. One can bring a cell phone into my home but it must be turned off and out of my sight. I carry one but rarely use it and will not allow it or someone elses disturb my at the moment focus. I find it rude both ways. My head is always up and interested in actual living.  ~ SP ~

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 18 2015 6:39 PM

@ John and SP

I use a smart phone and have for years. Back in the days when Palm Pilots were the rage I was an avid user - now the two are combined (I use the Note 4 as you can write on it :) ) Now they just get bigger and better (1st smartphone was a tiny HP).

So yes I am a gadget man, but I use it as I use cloud technology and can have access wherever I am.

But I know boundaries and would never use it at a restaurant (on silent), at a cinema (and anyone who has lived in Asia will testify, not only will a local get a phone call, but they will have a full on loud conversation) nor would I use one if invited over to SP's house......only 27.....hmmm I do not like my chances lol.

All kidding aside, used sensibly they are not a problem, used as many do it is a social problem. Soon we will have No Smoking signs in public places replaced by "No Cell Phones" allowed - in fact they exist now!

• carolineRobert
    1,821 Posts
    Sun, Feb 22 2015 8:40 PM

why9:

carolineRobert:
    not a single reply in 7 days ...hmmm ...i guess people prefer remaining in the dark and/or walk with horse blinders :(

sorry Caroline I must of been looking up :p

lol Ken ! ...good one.

That's what i've been doing myself the last 3-4 days ---> looking up and living in the real world :)

RSS