Forums

Help › Forums

St andrews and the seven ladies .

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 12 2015 5:35 AM (5 replies)
  • craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 12:17 AM

The club said in a statement on its website: “The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is delighted to announce that Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, Renee Powell, Belle Robertson MBE, Lally Segard, Annika Sorenstam and Louise Suggs have accepted invitations to become honorary members of the club.”

Davies, England’s greatest woman player, was awarded her damehood in the Queen’s 2014 birthday honours, and the 51-year-old four-times major winner remains an active player in the professional game, seeking to add to her 79 tour titles.

Advertisement

Powell, 68, is an African-American former LPGA tour player who since her playing days has encouraged development in junior golf, particularly with inner-city youngsters. She was named the PGA of America’s First Lady of Golf in 2003.

The Scottish amateur Robertson, born in 1936, played on seven Curtis Cup teams for Great Britain and Ireland, and captained the side twice, while Frenchwoman Segard won 14 titles including the British Ladies’ Amateur in 1950 before becoming president of the World Amateur Golf Council, now known as the International Golf Federation.

Sorenstam, from Sweden, retired in 2008 after a hugely successful career which saw the 44-year-old land 10 majors and play in eight Solheim Cup teams.

The American Suggs won 11 majors between 1946 and 1959. Now 91, she is a former president of the Ladies Professional Golf Association, of which she was a co-founder.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 2:09 AM

Interesting to hear!

For those (like me) who don't know it by heart, Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal is Anne, the eldest daughter of Queen Elizabeth II.

In addition, Dame Laura Davies was mentioned in the announcement right after the Princess Royal.

Cheers to all of them, cheers to the R&A!

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 3:04 AM

alosso:
    Cheers to all of them, cheers to the R&A!

While this is a step in the right direction. Calling them  honorary members is sort of like a slap in the face. Many clubs don't give  honorary members the same rights and privileges   as normal members and here that means the male members might have more rights than the 7 new lady members. 

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:57 AM

Rome wasn't built in a day, and who knows which crowd of ordinary female members have been welcomed there ;)

BTW, only yesterday, another course to play there came into my mind, The Eden. Would be my forth on the links, dancing around The Old Course (Jubilee, New and Himalayas being under my belt already).

BTW2, The Castle Course has a budget arrangement available right now, including a roll and lunch, and fairway mats ;)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:58 AM

Dame Laura Davies, she has come a loong way since her days at West Byfleet, Surrey ( my first club ). She used to work as a petrol pump attendant and play the slot machines in the club to pay for her golf when she was 16 - 17 years old.

She got special dispensation to play off the mens tees as she was so long. I've been fortunate enough to have accompanied her in many a game at that fine golf club.

All the members used to donate 25 pence of their competition entry fees to help her along, as we all recognised what a huge ( no pun intended ) talent she was.

• craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 5:35 AM

Quote from president of st andrews golf club .

Honorary member's .

“It is usually towards the end of their careers and near retirement though Laura might argue with me over that.”

RSS