Forums

Help › Forums

Newbie comments

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:59 PM (6 replies)
  • markchar
    1 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2015 8:05 AM

I've been playing for 3--4 weeks.  Went from hack to pro (I don't believe I should of made pro because my scores weren't 80 or less).  Generally I like and enjoy the game but, but, but ... calculations for short irons are unrealistic.  The calculations for woods and long irons are realistic.  At pro I am shooting my worst scores to date.  Example:  I was directly behind a tree so I aimed 90 degrees to the right.  Hit the tree trunk.  Aimed 90+ degrees. Again.  Hit the tree trunk. If I aim 90 degrees away from something it is impossible to hit it.  Chip shot results also appear to  border on unrealistic bad results.  I can see why people get frustrated and give up.  Also looking at tournament results I see that amateurs shoot in the 60s.  What's up with that!

I do enjoy the game but wish the shot formulas were more realistic.  At times it is impossible to figure out what the program is looking for.

Keep trying!!!!

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:30 AM

Welcome!  I'm glad that you'll keep trying and that despite the glitches you are enjoying the game.  Improvements and fixes will continue although not fast enough for many (including me).

It IS a simulation so there is a wide spectrum of opinion of how realistic and fun the experience is.  I remember when Pole Position first came out back in early 80's and thought what an incredibly awesome and realistic racing game that was.  I'm the type where 2 or 3 rolls of quarters every night after work in arcades was heaven even with a zero social life :) So here I am pumping in my quarters (um dollars) for credits and having great fun. 

I suppose VR technology will soon reach a point where simulations will be pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing.  In the meantime arguments on realism in games will continue unabated.  

-Keith

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 10:27 AM

markchar:
    calculations for short irons are unrealistic.

Those Starter clubs are quite imprecise, and the wedges are crap - their power / distance function is extremely non-linear below 80 %. My tip: get yourself two short ATVs.

markchar:
    I was directly behind a tree so I aimed 90 degrees to the right. 

Where was that? Replay?

Other than trees, there are some situations where it's difficult (or impossible) to get out. Abort the game or use the putter until the strokes max out.

Have fun!

2,111 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:23 AM

Hi Mark!

Welcome to this wonderful and at times most frustrating E-Universe.  My best advise is to save up your credits, and do not purchase new equipment until you have reached a high enough level to qualify for a decent set of clubs.  The Ping Raptors are a very good entry level set and the entry level Srixon or Callaway balls, are a good choice for those who are still early on in their career.

Low scores and good equipment, will come with time and most importantly, lots and lots of practice and then more practice.  In this game, you will never ever stop learning which is why it's such a challenging endeavor.  

Phil  aka., Coyote

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:31 PM

markchar:
    calculations for short irons are unrealistic

I never understood the logic of providing the starter wedges and their uselessness to brand new players. For anyone new, those wedges combined with the always wrong caddie advice spells instant disaster and enough valid reason to quickly loose any desire to play the game. Quiting before starting. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:32 PM

777999:
    The Ping Raptors are a very good entry level set and the entry level Srixon or Callaway balls, are a good choice for those who are still early on in their career.

I agree to wisely choose when to spend the credits. But, sorry to say, Raptors have been discontinued for some years now.

Plus, these are expensive balls for a Pro with 37 RRs. Me thinks that the WGT-S are a fair choice now, perhaps to be replaced by the Tour-SD at TP level.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:59 PM

SweetiePie:
    I never understood the logic of providing the starter wedges and their uselessness to brand new players. For anyone new, those wedges combined with the always wrong caddie advice spells instant disaster and enough valid reason to quickly loose any desire to play the game. Quiting before starting. 

Great point SP,  especially here when the OP actually signed up with WGT 4 years ago.  May have quit right away with what you say as part of the reason.

RSS