Forums

Help › Forums

Quantum Golf?

Mon, Mar 23 2015 8:54 AM (78 replies)
  • MOLLY88
    1,029 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:09 AM

"Here is the 'standard model for particle physics' written out...

... and Einstein's General Theory of Relativity

Conversely,  here is a definitive explanation on the rules of golf...

The spiral bound '13 version of these 'laws of golf' is 752 pages long!

This just further illustrates that the 'game of golf' is more complicated than the 'laws of the universe'...

Oh... by the way, golf's Governors still need to develop a 'unifying theory of gravity'..."

xxMolly

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:58 AM

Molly, funny stuff!

Now at the risk of sucking all the humor out of your post, the pedant in me must point out that comparing the rules of golf to the laws of physics constitutes what the philosopher Gilbert Ryle called a "category mistake"...one example of which is Descartes' mind/body dualism, which Ryle called the Ghost in the Machine.

May I suggest, if you haven't already read it, Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature in which he exposes three modern myths: the tabula rasa, the Ghost in the the Machine, and the Noble Savage.

I'm aware that most verbal humor involves the manipulation of categories and juxtaposition of unrelated concepts, and also that I've just set the record for the most boring post in the long and storied history of the wgt forum.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:02 AM

Swap the first g in first line for the fourth x in line 8, and think you will find it now works just fine.  Common mistake, don't feel bad:)

• KILLER52
    754 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:03 AM

Ohhh, well, that explains it Molly!   It's only the particle physics "standard" model.  I knew something didn't quite jive...lol.

- T

:)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:17 AM

Q: Who do you call to repair a damaged boson?

A: A quantum mechanic

A neutron walked into a bar and asked, "How much for a drink?" The bartender replied, "For you, no charge." 

• MOLLY88
    1,029 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:42 AM

KILLER52:
    Ohhh, well, that explains it Molly!   It's only the particle physics "standard" model.  I knew something didn't quite jive...lol.

"... I know, right? Silly theoretical physicists & their compact version."

xxMolly

• MOLLY88
    1,029 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:45 AM

Jimbog1964:

Swap the first g in first line for the fourth x in line 8, and think you will find it now works just fine.  Common mistake, don't feel bad:)

"Me make a mistake???

Why that's un-possible!"

(blush...lol)

xxMolly

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:48 AM

good old Gary Larson.....

:-)

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:49 AM

It was funny molly, keep it light, keep it bright, for those still in the dark.  my nickle.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 12:22 PM

I'll give ya two cents for that nickel.

;-)

RSS