Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Help Redux

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 6 2015 12:07 PM (5 replies)
  • wayneacampbell
    64 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:15 PM

Back again, and first off I would like to thank all the members on my previous post regarding all their putting tips info. My putting has improved  quite significantly, although I still have the occasional 3 putt.( such is golf) My question pertains to reading the amount of break. I understand that the faster the dots move the greater the break and vice versa. I am usually reasonably close on reading breaks but I still have a tendency to over or under read the amount of break. Frankly I feel I am still somewhat in the dark when it comes to accurately assessing the correct amount of break on any given putt. Any input most appreciated.

Thanks.

Wayne.

• fitzroy1965
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2015 3:28 PM

its all about distance control or how far past hole your misses are.  you can never be consistent at reading the breaks if your not consistent with distance control. try to miss all putts about 2 ft. past hole, this is about ideal. Make it a priority to notice and absorb each missed putt, how far past it was, until you get closer and closer to 2 ft. past  consistently. No shortcuts here and it helps to have a good memory lol.  gl.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2015 4:14 PM

wayneacampbell:
    My question pertains to reading the amount of break.

First off, to get information that is relevant to your style of putting. We need to know if you are a ding or off ding putter.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2015 5:21 PM

ZioMio:

wayneacampbell:
    My question pertains to reading the amount of break.

First off, to get information that is relevant to your style of putting. We need to know if you are a ding or off ding putter.

The break has always been impossible for me to trust in terms of "how much?". It has been a helper for me to be always aggressive to the point that my misses are mostly 2 to 3 feet past the hole on putts up to 15 feet. It greatly "straightens out" the break and eliminates the "never up never in" curse, along with those sneaky, curvy, last few inches that prevail, mostly in the negative, on the comfy, careful. over-exact, dying putt. Be more aggressive and don't attempt trying to "wish" anything in. 

• wayneacampbell
    64 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2015 9:40 AM

Zio- I again have no consistent pattern on my misses, however if I were to hazard a somewhat educated guess I would say that my misses tend to be off ding late. As such I tend to push my putts more than pull. My tendency as in real golf is to miss on the pro or high side. Hope this makes sense.

Wayne

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2015 12:07 PM

wayneacampbell:
    accurately assessing the correct amount of break on any given putt

Sadly the dots are still a bit messed up, but are back reasonably close. To make the dots work for you it's imperative to have a general idea of how much time it is going to take for the putt to reach the hole. This isn't a straight line progression, as on longer putts, the force of the stroke causes the putt to cover more ground per second than later in the putt. 

This has been called a simplified approach to G0LD's method. 

On VF and TM Tourney flattish greens, a six foot putt takes 2 seconds to reach the hole, so for a putt of that length see how far the dots move in 2 seconds. That should be your break. Multiple speeds? Pick the one that is moving the average speed to time. Keep in mind that when you are hitting uphill, the time to reach the hole will be about the same, but you will have struck the ball harder, so a bit of break will be taken off. Downhill, the opposite is true, except the putt will take longer to get there, so more break needs to be allowed for. 

10 foot putt - 3 seconds

20 - 4 seconds

30 - 4.5 seconds 

40 - 5 seconds 

Longer than that - work on your approaches. :^)

I used to have a link to the putt. Needless to say, it went in. 

Good Luck.

RSS