Forums

Help › Forums

Skyrocketing average score

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 20 2015 10:27 PM (3 replies)
  • sarazino
    1 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 7:02 PM

I play only very casually here and my average score hovered around 84 for weeks.  A couple of days ago, my average skyrocketed to 99, literally overnight.  I wrote to member services and their reply made reference to needing a lower average to advance tiers.  Not at all clear what this has to do with my average score going up almost 20 strokes.   They also suggested that my average may have been adjusted up to "help prevent sandbagging."  That's only a tiny bit offensive.

Anyone able to give me a clearer explanation about what happened here?

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2015 2:14 PM

sarazino:

I play only very casually here and my average score hovered around 84 for weeks.  A couple of days ago, my average skyrocketed to 99, literally overnight.  I wrote to member services and their reply made reference to needing a lower average to advance tiers.  Not at all clear what this has to do with my average score going up almost 20 strokes.   They also suggested that my average may have been adjusted up to "help prevent sandbagging."  That's only a tiny bit offensive.

Anyone able to give me a clearer explanation about what happened here?

Sorry for the delay in response.  Do you remember exactly which day you noticed the change?  Based on your scoring history it looks like you haven't played in a couple weeks.  End of March you were moved up to the tour pro level which resets your scoring average.  This combined with your scores this month look like the reason why it it up to 99.

- WGTdbloshoe

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2015 3:06 PM

Since you became a pro when, as shoe said, your average resets you have has two ranked rounds 50 and 47 both nine holes.  This gives net scores (for 18 holes) of 100 and 94, 194/2 = 97 your current average.

I'm not sure why it went to 99, presumably on the 14th when you shot 50 at Kiawah, and not 100.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2015 10:27 PM

sarazino:
    I play only very casually here and my average score hovered around 84 for weeks.

Weeks? You make it sound like ages - it was 84 for 4 weeks.

You have played only 5 Ranked Rounds - of those only 3 contribute to the calculation of your "Average", as Best of Par 3's and Best of Par 5's do not count towards the average Neither do Blitz or any CTTH & sweeps games you have played.

You joined March 11th on the Hack tier  - Average default 150

March 15th you hit 84 around Cabo -  your average became 84 based on 1 round.

You were moved up to the Amateur tier on March 18th - your average is reset but still shows 84 until you play a Ranked Round that counts towards your average. WGT promoted you early based on results - they do no divulge all these rules. You would normally need 5 Ranked Rounds giving you an average of 100 or less.

March 27th you hit 73 in the Global Post Challenge - which was a Best of Par 3. This is your 2nd Ranked Round but does not affect your average as it is a BOP3.

You were moved up again on March 28th to Pro - who knows why - but this reset your average again - which had no impact as you had not yet hit a Ranked Round to get  new average as Amateur.

March 29th you hit 106 on BOP5 - does nothing as BOP5 does not count towards Ave. But this takes your Ranked Rounds to 3 - and your Average would have still been showing 84.

April 14th you hit 50 on 9 holes of Kiawah. This is converted to 100 for 18 holes - and this would have been the 1st score that counted to your new average. It should therefore have been 100 instead of 84 due to the reset.

April 19th you hit 47 on 9 holes of Merion. Converts to 94 for 18 holes. Your Average as Pro moves to 97 as per calculation shown above.

And that is it! 5 Ranked Rounds. 3 of which have impaced on your average.

Unless you get promoted early again you need another 18 Ranked Rounds (excluding BOP3 & BOP5 courses) giving an average of 72 or less to advance to Tour Pro. If after 20 Ranked Rounds as Pro your average is > 72, then from that point your average will be calculated on your best 20 scores as Pro - so a good score will lower your average, a bad score will do nothing.

I hope this helps you and perhaps other newbies understand what the Average is and how it changes. Bottom line - enjoy the golf - don't worry about the average - it is not important.

The Hakman

RSS