Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping while on the green ...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:59 PM (9 replies)
  • programplaya
    84 Posts
    Tue, May 5 2015 5:24 PM

I looked for usga rules concerning chipping while on the green.

I didn't find any. However here are a few examples of this found on youtube.

This came up today while in a practice match with a legend from the UK.

He said it was cheating, I said it wasn't.  He disconnected after I made a vn chip from green.

Here are several instances of it in tournament play.

So ... if it is allowed in professional tourneys .... it must be legal.

The first instance being in a major.    No penalties here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X4l9CJNk3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQ3PDDhFuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65tW56Lkeo

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Tue, May 5 2015 5:37 PM

No rule stipulates what club shall be used

• Sikkum
    88 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2015 1:37 AM

programplaya:
    So ... if it is allowed in professional tourneys .... it must be legal.

And legal it is sir..........except on WGT where they (for some reason best known to them) have removed the ability to apply spin to the shot.  Go figure!

Sikkum

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2015 1:51 AM

programplaya:
    He said it was cheating, I said it wasn't.  He disconnected after I made a vn chip from green.

Besides the USGA rules, this game creates and enforces the rules by it's programming. Anything we can't do is forbidden, and everything we can do within the T&Cs is allowed.

We can't use drop options like unplayables - forbidden,
    we may shoot while floating on the water - allowed.

We may use wedges on the green - allowed,
    we must not use spin there - forbidden.

• Sikkum
    88 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 10:34 PM

alosso:
    We may use wedges on the green - allowed,
    we must not use spin there - forbidden.

But......Alosso, applying spin to a green wedge shot WAS allowed albeit some time ago.  WGT actively removed this ability..........WHY?

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 11:40 PM

Why? Obviously they "created a rule" against it.

In detail, we can only guess. My guess is, it was deemed too easy with spin.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 11:44 PM

A green wedge to a downhill pin is almost impossible to play now - sadly.

Twas one of my  favourite shots when I was a hacker and couldn't putt from distance or get it close with my approaches.

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 7:03 AM

we should be able to apply the amount of spin now available from a 30-40% shot from rough....as a compromise

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 1:36 PM

programplaya:
    I looked for usga rules concerning chipping while on the green.

It's Rule 14-1.  

As long as you strike the ball with the head of any club it is a legal shot on the green (and any other place on the golf course). In other words - you may not use the shaft of the club to finish a putt should it miss.

I bet your opp wouldn't say you were cheating if you teed off with your putter...would he? Again, perfectly legal.

The next time someone says you are cheating - tell them to look at that rule.

I have been know to putt using my driver here and IRL - just made a 6 footer today for Eagle in an AS game on Confessional...nobody claimed I cheated, because they all play real golf. I was called a few choice names in jest, however.  Lol.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:59 PM

Just got done playing a round at Desert Dunes in the Palm Springs area. Holes 9 and 18 share a massively wide but shallow green that has a bunker in the middle of it. There are multiple places on those greens where it is impossible to putt in the direction of the hole and a wedge is necessary. Impossible to putt through the bunker and the undulations make it impossible to keep the ball on the green if you find yourself closer to the wrong pin than the one you're aiming at.

Some places are designed to force you to be creative to recover from an errant approach. The greenskeeper may not be very thrilled but sometimes something other than the putter on the green is necessary.

RSS