Forums

Help › Forums

How to send pictures private messages

Wed, Nov 28 2018 1:09 AM (20 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,324 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2015 4:43 PM
     YankeeJim: "@Scott-Didn't you do one of your snazzy help vids for that?"

I sure did, link to it on previous page.
  • ragawill
    412 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 5:40 AM

Thanks.  I use to use photobucket and now they want to charge.

• ScottHope
    10,324 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:27 AM

Indeed, Photobucket did announce an unexpected and somewhat exhorbitant pricing structure in June 2017 if you wanted to do 3rd party hosting for your images, but they went back and changed their pricing after an internet backlash. I don't know what their new pricing structure is like now, but I sure hope it's better than the $400 per annum they came up with originally.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 2:31 AM

There are so many blank error boxes on profiles of retired members these days thanks to the greed of PhotoPhucket.  Many of those images are probably lost for ever.

I have to be honest and say I always found that place very slow (I'm not looking for 0.4 second response times but do expect under 10 seconds) and pop-up infested.  I've been using Imgur for a while and it's great.

• ScottHope
    10,324 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 3:04 AM

MainzMan:
    There are so many blank error boxes on profiles of retired members these days.....
    Would you like to share an example MM an I'll take a look. ; )

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 4:34 AM

ScottHope:

Would you like to share an example MM an I'll take a look. ; )

You can do a permanent fix Scott?  I knew about the "original" temporary fix but had no idea it could be done long term.

The main person I had in mind was of course Dennis but I see you may have already worked your magic there.

I thank you.

• ScottHope
    10,324 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 5:06 AM

No, I can't do a permanent fix, I don't even know if the ~original fix still works, but I think I must mention a couple of things.

When PB first realised that their initial attempt at charging customers for 3rd party image hosting was grossly unfair, they took a step back, and replaced all the horrid PB speedo images, with customers original images on whatever sites they were on. This period of grace was for an (unknown to me) certain length of time until PB could come up with a more acceptable pricing structure for 3rd party hosting.

As far as I know, this period of grace is still in existence and, I believe, that is why Dennis' images are still on his profile page. That has nothing to do with me.

I feel certain that this period of grace will end soon, as we've had it for quite some time now, so those speedo images (unless they've come up with another 'Upgrade your account' pic) may start to return at some point.

I'll try the ~original fix again when the PB blocked image placeholders return to our screens, and let you know if it works.

Thanks MM.

• ScottHope
    10,324 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 5:26 AM

UPDATE:

I have just read on Photobucket.com that they are going to allow 3rd party image hosting from free accounts. This was introduced on the 2nd Nov 2018, but there is a catch, these images will have a Photobucket watermark on them...

Watermarking: How Photobucket Is Keeping Free... Free

... your original images will not be altered, and you can avoid this watermark by upgrading your PB account to one of their *low cost premium plans (*their words not mine, lol).

Not on my account yet though... ⇧  : (

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Nov 27 2018 1:41 AM

I used Photobucket years ago until they changed a few things and got too damn difficult for my brain to handle   lol

I use Imgur now   ...  Imgur.com  free to use and does the job.  Just have to create an account and all your posts will be saved in there

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Nov 27 2018 4:09 PM

Hi

I have to agree with those who use imgur. It's fast and free.

Cheers!

Rich

* saw through the disguise Scott. A valliant attempt though.

RSS