Forums

Help › Forums

Interesting Article on Flash

Wed, Sep 9 2015 1:40 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 12:38 PM

I now have to play with pepper-flash, which gives me an awful meter.  Do I need to use a different browser and if so which do folk suggest? 

Why don't NPAPI plug-ins work now

In the past, many plug-ins were developed using an old system called NPAPI. Today fewer sites are using NPAPI plug-ins and they have often caused security risks on websites.

To make browsing with Chrome safer, faster and more stable, we stopped allowing NPAPI plug-ins on 1 September 2015.

Plug-ins that use NPAPI, including Silverlight, Java and Unity, won’t work. If you want to use a website that uses an NPAPI plug-in, you’ll need to use a different web browser.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 1:04 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I now have to play with pepper-flash, which gives me an awful meter.  Do I need to use a different browser and if so which do folk suggest?

Maxthon 3, Maxthon Cloud and Comodo Dragon are used very successfully by lots of players on here.

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 2:16 PM

t’s no secret that when it comes to security, Flash leaks like a sieve. And while that cliche is appropriate, it doesn’t capture the magnitude of the problem. We’re all techies here; let’s look at some hard numbers. Computerworld’s Michael Horowitz counted up Flash’s bugs through mid-May for 2015. Take a guess how many he found. I’ll wait.

Give up? He found 78 Flash bugs in the first five months of the year.

And has a chagrined Adobe done much better since then? Not on your life. In the last three months alone, 86 more Flash bugs have been found. That’s 164 all together, which means a bug was being discovered every day and a half, on average, or one bug every day for the five-day business week.

• FlexibleAsARock
    101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 2:29 PM

ok then, now add WGT's programming into that, OK , here we are

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 2:29 PM

And to copy the final quote

Flash is finally coming to the end of its road. Adobe has no one to blame but itself for this. Flash is almost 20 years old, and still a month doesn’t go by without a serious security problem. That’s why I seriously doubt it will live to see its 21st birthday.

• daveparr
    1,175 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 3:15 PM

Regards maxthon mentioned in this thread for some reason the maxthon browser l was useing was riddled with viruses,l deleted it and then every time l down loaded a new version  also within a short while was also virus riddled

l tried downloads from different sites all with the same problems tried maxthon 3 as well as 4 to no avail, l thought it was just me but a fellow club member also had problems with Maxthon

He Switched to comodo Dragon, and l did likewise comodo l find is Erratic sometimes it runs very smooth giveing an Excellent meter other times it  gives a very unplayable metering

so l only tend to play now if the meter is smooth wich is about 50% of the time, my other browser Internet Explorer is a great fast browser for surfing the net but unfortunately its one of the worse to use on wgt

As wgt is a flash based game what happens if Adobe ceases anytime soon does wgt cease to be a game and folds ?

• GolfingSeti
    92 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 3:31 PM

Die Flash DIE...

• FarFoo
    2,919 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 4:09 PM

daveparr:

As wgt is a flash based game what happens if Adobe ceases anytime soon does wgt cease to be a game and folds ?

Nope. You have the flashplayer and will still be able to get previously  released versions. And the site is here. So what Adobe do makes no difference to what already exists.

As a security risk it's probably rates alongside many IE browsers, possibly not quite as bad.

Security is about trusting the site you are visiting, that they don't intend harm and they haven't been 'hacked' in a major way by someone who does.

Flash games will still be around and played in 10+ years time.

Personally , i use flashblock, more to avoid annoying ads as much as security tbh, but it serves both purposes. I just click to allow on sites like wgt. ( which is what browsers are starting to do by default now )... Incidentally, I expect autoplay video to go the same way in the near future.

Most new builds use HTML5 instead of Flash nowadays, but HTML5 does not have the same capability of flash in some areas.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 4:23 PM

I've used different browsers.   Mostly maxthon.  But still problems with any I try.  A lost cause.

• PAGES
RSS