Forums

Help › Forums

Powerball......what would you do if you won?

Thu, Jan 14 2016 1:53 AM (89 replies)
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 2:23 PM

ct690911:

srellim234:

My wife and I have "dreamed" about what we'd do with it and amazingly our thoughts are very much the same. 

1. We would take it in the 30 payments.

2. Set some of it up as separate $1 million accounts, designating each one for a specific family purpose. Each one would distribute 90%, after taxes, of whatever that account  generated in interest or dividends or whatever. The remaining 10% would plow back into the account, raising the principal and thus increasing the amount the beneficiary would get each year.

The first  few accounts would be ours. Use one to pay off the house, start paying the monthly installment bills like insurance a year at a time, etc. Money not used would just be reinvested. 

Next would come an account for each one of our children and grandchildren.

For extended family (brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, etc.) we would set up one or two of the accounts to and spread the proceeds as we see fit. Maybe make a mortgage payment or two for one, help with a car for another, help one with college tuition, etc.

Then the charities start, beginning with specific ones we've wanted to donate more to but haven't been able to over the years. A couple of college scholarships, City of Hope, Saint Jude's and the San Diego Safari Park would be first out of the gate. 

With multiple accounts and limiting distribution to 90% of the proceeds it would be fun to be able to help out individuals or organizations be they individual people legitimately down on their luck or other charities like homeless shelters and military veteran's organizations.

The important thing to us is to structure it in such a way as to never place the principal at risk, not change our lifestyle drastically and help others. Our own needs and wants are pretty modest.

Father !!!...I've missed you so...:)

My needs are modest as well: I need a Ferrari, but stock will do...nothing fancy and tricked out...and, of course, a Yacht, but only a 60 footer...not like the big ones...too flashy...I also need a few vacation homes around the Caribbean and South Pacific...not Mansions or anything...but on the beach would be a nice touch...maybe a Lear jet to efficiently get me to spa appointments in these locales (being late is kinda rude) and, I guess a helicopter for Island hopping...that's a good start anyway...kiss Mom for me and tell her I still love her apple pies...:)

cheers,

your long lost son...:)

And your brother by a different mother.  I've been looking for you for years.;)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 4:03 PM

ct690911:
    They have fishing in Arizona?...thought it was mainly desert.  I was on a joint-ex with the Marines out of Yuma...sure ain't no fishing around there...lol

No fishing in AZ!  Stay away!  Got enough Canucks down here right now, likely a couple hundred thousand snow-birds, clogging our restaurants, malls, golf courses and (shhhh) lakes.

^^Not a Canadian or me btw

Learn more about our non-fishing state here.

And just between you and me, don't tell anybody, if you had driven just a couple hours north from Yuma to Parker, AZ or Lake Havasu City, there's great smallmouth bass and striped bass fishing in the Colorado River.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 4:44 PM

andyson:

ct690911:
    They have fishing in Arizona?...thought it was mainly desert.  I was on a joint-ex with the Marines out of Yuma...sure ain't no fishing around there...lol

No fishing in AZ!  Stay away!  Got enough Canucks down here right now, likely a couple hundred thousand snow-birds, clogging our restaurants, malls, golf courses and (shhhh) lakes.

^^Not a Canadian or me btw

Learn more about our non-fishing state here.

And just between you and me, don't tell anybody, if you had driven just a couple hours north from Yuma to Parker, AZ or Lake Havasu City, there's great smallmouth bass and striped bass fishing in the Colorado River.

Thanks Andy...it was a desert survival ex prior to deploying to the middle east. How many foreigners equate fishing with Arizona?...golf, exploring, warm dry weather...to be sure,...anyway, fresh fish sure beats what we were usually "catching" to eat...lol

I now know for the next time I visit your fine state...gonna take a tour guide with me this time though...:)

cheers,

ct

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:18 PM

YankeeJim:

mantis0014:

Has anybody worked out how much it would cost to buy every single combination

Local news says at the rate the tickets are selling, 75% of the possible number combos would be taken. 25% chance this tops a billhouse.  :-D

I suppose it's all computer generated and might know what combination hasn't been registered yet.

fatdan:

The odds of winning are less(a little) than 300 million to 1, so at $2 a ticket it is less than $600 million to buy every possible combo of numbers not $900 million...then you pray nobody else wins are your screwed LOL

Anybody want to pitch in and do it, I'll go $25?

If's only 600 Mill.  Then it's surprising nobody has done it yet.  They would have had a very handy profit.   Lets say 3 billionaires get together put in the cash and well you know what happens then. Yeah they are stuffed if more than one winning ticket.

I heard somewhere it's a lump sum and the rest in payments ...  or something like that

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:39 PM

mantis0014:
    I heard somewhere it's a lump sum and the rest in payments ...  or something like that

You have a choice-a lump sum settlement or a 30 year annuity.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2016 12:55 AM

mantis0014:

If's only 600 Mill.  Then it's surprising nobody has done it yet.  They would have had a very handy profit.   Lets say 3 billionaires get together put in the cash and well you know what happens then. Yeah they are stuffed if more than one winning ticket.

When it was 900 million you would have lost money taking the lump sum payout, and 600 million would make more money if you were only getting a 5% return over 30 years so it isn't cost effective...not to mention if there were 2 winners as there often is, you were really screwed...

I don't know how true it is, but I read/heard that they draw twice a week for a reason, and you can't go to a seller and have them give you every possible combination on the machine, you have to fill out the cards manually and go to the Powerball office...

if you hired a staff of 20 people working 15 hrs a day you still wouldn't have enough time to do it between drawings...

Now I'm not sure about that or those numbers, but I could believe it to be at least close to the truth LOL

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2016 1:13 AM

YankeeJim:

mantis0014:

You have a choice-a lump sum settlement or a 30 year annuity.

Yes, I suppose if you take the lump sum,  you lose half or more in tax.  Saying that I might be dead in a few yeas so the 30 year option will be no good to me.   Great for others though

fatdan:
    if you hired a staff of 20 people working 15 hrs a day you still wouldn't have enough time to do it between drawings

Might be job for one of those Overseas Billionaires to step in.  Hire a few hundred people and give em small wage, like $10 each   lol.  

Good luck to the person/people who do win it. Incredible amount of money

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2016 6:11 AM

ct - Got it. Ferrari, Yacht, one vacation hut, Lear jet and helicopter on the way if we win. How you manage to cram yourself into them is your problem, son.  :)

Image result for dilapidated grass hut on beachImage result for model of lear jet

Image result for toy helicopter

• bery111
    3,859 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2016 6:54 AM

ct690911:

YankeeJim:

How impossibly, audaciously, over the top insane is it to acquire $460 million dollars in an instant? Your head would explode. LOL

then to hell with mere hookers...for that kinda money you could rent the Playboy Mansion... Bunnies included..:)

Why rent when you can buy?!

Playboy mansion up for sale

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2016 7:40 AM

White peacocks and Pamela Anderson...

...and that ugly old man, Hugh all around :(

RSS