Forums

Help › Forums

You Know what's amazing about this game?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 28 2016 3:59 AM (20 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 2:32 PM

...its the fact that I'm a Tour Master and although my stats are "reasonable", I completely realise that I'm not good enough to be a Legend.

Think about that for a moment. I'm not good enough.

I don't play red tee tournaments (in fact my excellent cc doesn't even offer them) and I never withdraw from games that will hurt my average.

I need to play better.

It's really that simple.

YankeeJim and others have offered advice and I have taken it to heart.  I love alt shot and I love trying to get inside 3 yards on my approach shots. I love the the hard putts and I hate it when I get a blue screen.

But I love love love the challenge of this game!

Thanks WGT, and thanks everyone I've had the privilege of playing with.

Cheers,

Peter

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 3:53 PM

petervcpt:

I need to play better.

It's really that simple.

You will. You only have 250 ranked rounds and just under 200 AS games and you're already at the TM stage. That's the stage where you start to figure things out and the more you play, the easier it gets. You start remembering shots you've seen before and situations you've been in. Notes help if you're of the mind but playing trumps. TM was a great level to develop a really strong game because you're driver/wedge a lot. You get real good at up and down.

Something you might want to consider that I think will make a huge difference is the ball you're using. You don't need that much ball at your level. You wouldn't be saying what you are if you were playing up to the qualities of that Nike. Back off the ball specs (and the wallet) and give a ball like the 33 Callaway a go. It's almost 1/2 the price and has everything you and the clubs you're using need. 

One of the drawbacks to the better balls is what happens when you miss with them. You're all over the place and get hurt a lot. The lesser balls don't do this and you can get away with misses more. That Callaway is a good example. The Tour-SD is, too. Switch to one of those for a while and you'll see what I mean.  Don't sweat the meter speed, you'll adapt, just don't give up too fast, the ball will help you.  :-)

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 4:23 PM

+1 YJ!

Plus, take your time, and take me as a bad example:

Took me 6 months on vf greens, took me 500+ games, but eventually I became a Legend!!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 5:13 PM

YankeeJim:

Back off the ball specs (and the wallet) and give a ball like the 33 Callaway a go. It's almost 1/2 the price and has everything you and the clubs you're using need. 

One of the drawbacks to the better balls is what happens when you miss with them. You're all over the place and get hurt a lot. The lesser balls don't do this and you can get away with misses more. That Callaway is a good example. The Tour-SD is, too. Switch to one of those for a while and you'll see what I mean.

I'll echo those words.

I played the Tour SD with the G10 irons through a good part of Legend.

Now, with that said and agreeing with YJ...don't, I mean DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  take his advice when it come to "Should I buy these clubs now or wait till laterr"?

Effing YJ ...remember back when Jim?

Me:  " I think I want to wait to see if WGT will come out with something better than the Burners"

Jim:  "What, are you nuts?...how can WGT come out with better clubs?"

So, I bought the Burners, and a week later the R11's?...I think came out...LMFAO!

Note:...conversation I put up is about 75% accurate, but sums it up pretty well..lol.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 9:22 PM

As per YJ and others, you will get there but there is no rush Peter.

You have the right attitude and doing it the hard way is so rewarding. I see red tee legends and higher, and they stand out like a sore thumb. 

lets face it, if the game was too easy most of us would have quit a long time ago, a challenge is good

As for "protecting" an average....there is no point as soon enough you hit saturation and it will drop anyway. 

My advice is play all the courses and if need be, take notes (I am too lazy to do so, but would help my game) and learn ALL the shots. Some courses different shots work better than others, so just because say a flop works well on one course, a pitch may be a better option on another.

Also learn the punch shot - probably the most under utilized shot by the lower tiers.From 25 yards out it is my choice as a rule. It is like another club at your disposal (and great in the wind).

Finally learn what your club/ball combo can do (in other words, map them) and you will see an improvement in the GIR and distance to the pin, Big note on that - know what the spin effect will have.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:10 AM

MBaggese:
    So, I bought the Burners, and a week later the R11's?...I think came out...LMFAO

Was a nice commission, too.  LOL  :-P

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 11:30 AM

Howzit everyone

Thanks very much for the great feedback.

I was told by James (jimbog1964) who by the way is an incredible source of info and a real gentleman, a while ago, that I should match my balls to my iron level.

Of course I ignored his advice, and most of you have reiterated his advice in this thread.

I have saturated my tier, and am slowly working my way down to 61, which is a long way away.

I'm in no hurry to get to Legend, and the "parking lot" tees, but am really enjoying the journey.

My favourite shot under 90 yards is the punch. Under 30 yards it's the pitch, depending how close to the green I am. Can't do the flop shot AT ALL - it just freaks me out for some reason. I know how to play it - I just have a mental block.

What I really love about this game, is that EVERY game I play, I play just one shot, that I doubt even fmagnets could better.

It's kinda the same in real world golf. You may well score 87, but somewhere in that score was just one shot that Jordan Spieth couldn't replicate.

It just makes me want to come back for more :-)

Cheers,

Peter

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 12:42 PM

Solarflares:

The L80/81 Nike does not work well with the L59 G25 irons.  This combo gives huge variants and deviation and you'll never play your way around that mis-match.

Either buy the L85 V-forges or lessen your ball to a L51 Volvic or a L40/61 Nike.

Went with the level 48 Nikes Solarflares, thanks!

I want to hold off on buying the L85 V-Forges because I think I need to up my approach game first.

Cheers,

Peter

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 6:49 PM

Just a quick note on the L85 V- Forges, they are nice clubs but if you can handle a faster meter, the R11S's available at L90 are game changes IMO.

I used the G20's due to the meter speed but got used to the then R11's pretty quickly and the stopping power using a cally ball was dramatic.

And they would work nicely with the Nike 48 ball.

As I said, take your time and enjoy the journey.

RSS