Major League Baseball

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 12 2016 9:29 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2016 10:19 AM

Howzit

Watched a game on TV, looked really interesting but I was clueless as to how it works.

Can someone explain?

:-)

Cheers,

Peter

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2016 12:38 PM

Might be easier to look it up on the net...I'll see if I can find a good link for you.

This looks simple enough to follow

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2016 10:08 PM

MBaggese:

Might be easier to look it up on the net...I'll see if I can find a good link for you.

Excellent article, thanks!

It kinda reminds me a bit of cricket.

Cheers,

Peter

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 11:58 AM

There is one game broadcast free everyday from MLB.com, with the time difference you can simply watch Monday's game any time Tuesday at your convenience (or any day up until the post season for that matter).

Link to MLB media centre

Thomas

----edit----

just a thought.....does anyone actually miss Candlestick?

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 12:04 PM

newcastleb:
    just a thought.....does anyone actually miss Candlestick?

Oh man, brings back some good memories...probably watched 90-100 games there over the years...

Was really a tough park to hit in during the early years, until they moved the fences in.

Watched so many games there during the "humm baby" era of Roger Craig.

Yep, miss it.

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 12:23 PM

Sounds like I pre-date you a fair bit Baggs, I'm old enough (just) to remember going to Seal Stadium.

Miss the memories, for sure, but the actual stadium...hmmm, can't recall EVER being comfortable watching a night-game there.

“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

The coolest thing Mark Twain never said, and Candlestick hadn't even been BUILT then!!! lols

Thomas

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 11:06 PM

petervcpt:
    It kinda reminds me a bit of cricket.

I will probably get some wrath....but here goes.....

I am lucky enough to have been to a couple of MLB Games......atmosphere central......loved it..........BUT

The time it took between pitches was ****yawwwwwnnnnn* excruciating. I wanted to say "have a go ya mug".....It is not like the pitcher has to run 50 yards to pitch the ball....just stands there waiting....and waiting...and then throws the ball to 3rd base to prevent the runner stealing a base.......then we start all over again. Cat an mouse.......

Oh and then a ball is pitched......STTTRRRIKKKKEEEEE........only 2 more like that.....but balls and fouls keep all of us on the edge of our seats....or as planned, so we have more time to guzzle another beer - I should just ask the person next to me to wake me up when he actually pitches.

But wait,,,,I need to goto the bathroom....too many beers....weak bladder and what do you know...I miss the only run of a tight game.........

I do like Baseball....but highlights are better for my attention deficit disorder.

On average 146 pitches (I assume over 9 innings this is per team) are pitched and a game takes just under 3 hours to complete.

Some players are super fit, some look like a boxer in their twilight of their careers.

Like cricket, it is tactical and relies on the skill of the pitcher to bamboozle the batter.

So not too dissimilar to cricket, especially 20/20, which I think would appeal to the US public - seems to flow better.....until the TV stations get their hands on it

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2016 12:42 AM

MBaggese:

Thinking about what that Giant great Willie Mays said when asked to explain baseball. "They throw it I hit it! They hit it I catch it!"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2016 6:51 AM

MBaggese:
    Oh man, brings back some good memories...probably watched 90-100 games there over the years..

And you're probably old enough to remember how the Giants used to water down the infield to slow down Maury Wills. Or Juan Marichal smacking catcher Jonny Roseboro upside the head with his bat because of an inside pitch. 

That Giants/Dodgers rivalry makes NY/Boston look like Little League.  LOL

@Peter-Baseball is a huge industry in the US, from the equipment manufacturers to the team owners. Careers happen in all phases of the game.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2016 7:02 AM

A Scot visits his friend in the US and his friend takes him to see a baseball game for the first time.

The leadoff batter comes to the plate and the first pitch is outside for ball one.  The Scot yells, "Run, man, run!"  His friend says, "That's just ball one, he doesn't have to run."

The next pitch is low for ball two.  Again the Scot shouts, "Run, man, run!"  His friend explains that it's ball two and the batter gets more pitches.

Next pitch is inside and the Scot again shouts, "Run, man, run!"  Once more his friend explains the situation, tells him it's ball three and the batter doesn't have to do anything.

The fourth pitch is high and immediately the Scot shouts, "Run, man run!"  His friend says, "The batter has four balls, he can walk to first base."

The Scot looks at his friend then looks back at the batter and shouts, "Walk proudly, man!"

• PAGES
RSS