• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 7:04 PM

^^^ Base on balls signal ??

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 7:59 PM

ct690911:

To wit, I ended up agreeing to attend an exhibit on "Horology"...I only agreed to go because I thought it had to do with loose women. Nope...When I got there, my "sophisticated" buddy explained that horology had to do with watches and clocks..that sort of thing. I thought, OK, well I needed a watch anyway, so let's see what they have.

Now, I'm an ex-soldier..a meat and potatoes guy. I was expecting Timex, Casio, Seiko, maybe a high end watch like a Bulova...you know, watches... Pffft

There were some names I actually recognized...Rolex ($58,000) and Cartier ($52,000), and Omega (James Bond fame), but most I'd never heard of, so I made note: Hublot ($45,000), Piaget ($150,000), Patek-Phillipe ($100,000), Richard Mille (price by request?), BVlgari, Blancpain...and many others. These watches didn't include taxes, which in Ontario is 13%. On the Piaget, that's an additional $19,500. Almost 20 grand ..in taxes..for a watch?

They even had used watches..a "vintage" Rolex went for about $25,000. My new Chevrolet didn't cost as much as a used watch...oi vey

..Walmart, here I come.:)

Great reading, educational too. Nice work CT.

~ Lily ~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 8:12 AM

SweetiePie:
    There were some names I actually recognized...Rolex ($58,000) and Cartier ($52,000), and Omega (James Bond fame), but most I'd never heard of, so I made note: Hublot ($45,000), Piaget ($150,000), Patek-Phillipe ($100,000), Richard Mille (price by request?), BVlgari, Blancpain...and many others. These watches didn't include taxes, which in Ontario is 13%. On the Piaget, that's an additional $19,500. Almost 20 grand ..in taxes..for a watch?

It is true to a point. I admire nice things of quality mostly for the efficacy they provide. I have never been drawn toward watches or "bling" items like jewelry. Not much interested in things that have limited function. However, my Mom & Dad gave me a Rolex President for Christmas when I was 17. It was pretty but seemed to draw uninvited questions from strangers in public. " is that a real Rolex", " is that real gold", " that looks like a swap meet fake, is it ?", and so forth. No thanks...and I thought it could provide a mugging. Then I had to burden myself with picking and choosing when to wear it. But I always know the basic time, and have always been in the habit of promptness, always being where I have promised, always being there before "Lombardi" showed up. But I never need a watch to "make it happen". What I have found is that the watch is suprisingly  heavy and perfect as a golf swing aid. I only wear it when I play. I wear it on my left wrist and it is the last thing I look at just before starting my swing. It reminds me to supinate and keep my left wrist going toward the target. It is very useful for that. ;-}

~ Lily ~

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 11:27 AM

SweetiePie:
    What I have found is that the watch is suprisingly  heavy and perfect as a golf swing aid. I only wear it when I play. I wear it on my left wrist and it is the last thing I look at just before starting my swing. It reminds me to supinate and keep my left wrist going toward the target. It is very useful for that. ;-}

There's a tip for Phil!  If he wore his Rolex on his right wrist it would help correct his wayward drives!  LOL

;0)

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 12:21 PM

SweetiePie:

It reminds me to supinate

Dayum, that's a fine word I haven't heard for a while.

Well played indeed!

Cheers,

Peter

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 2:03 PM

^^^ This. Lol, I used to read the dictionary ( like a book ), but, that's one I missed, or more than likely forgot. 'Tis indeed rare when one gets enlightened in these forums nowadays.

Doc :)

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 4:07 PM

drmoose:

^^^ This. Lol, I used to read the dictionary ( like a book ), but, that's one I missed, or more than likely forgot. 'Tis indeed rare when one gets enlightened in these forums nowadays.

I dunno, Doc. I get "enlightened" everyday in these forums. Unfortunately, much of the enlightenment revolves around the surprising number of posters who could probably win a staring contest with a goldfish...lol

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 8:32 PM

Nope, CT, I'm guessin' from the majority of what I've seen, it would be better to put your money on the goldfish. Ah , well,  it is what it is, people come here to complain, some issues are based in reality, some are not. Some people can express their thoughts in a cogent manner, some cannot., In my time here, I've seen quite a bit, now, i try to keep it loose an' fun 'cause anything else will drive you insane, lol.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Tue, May 17 2016 3:47 AM

andyson:

SweetiePie:
    What I have found is that the watch is suprisingly  heavy and perfect as a golf swing aid. I only wear it when I play. I wear it on my left wrist and it is the last thing I look at just before starting my swing. It reminds me to supinate and keep my left wrist going toward the target. It is very useful for that. ;-}

There's a tip for Phil!  If he wore his Rolex on his right wrist it would help correct his wayward drives!  LOL

;0)

That's a Rolex?..looks completely different than the few I saw. Those all had a magnifying glass over the date. But, like most watch makers, I'm sure they make a variety of styles.

ps. I eventually got my watch. $29.95 Cdn. It's 24K plastic, boasts an imported quartz movement (sounds exotic) and is water resistant. It even has an alarm function and a night light.:)

RSS