Forums

Help › Forums

Got a steal on a RL driver

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 2 2016 9:17 PM (6 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2016 11:38 PM

Luck can be a good thing. My trusty driver, an Acer XP that was custom built for me by a golfing friend, is finally on it's last leg. The head is worn to the point the face of it is almost flat and it sounds "dead" when I hit it. Time to look for a replacement.

I was planning on going generic again as I've purchased my irons and fairway woods from gigagolf and been really happy with them. A decent driver configured for my game these days would probably run around $110 to $125.

Anyway, just for kicks I cruised into my local Golfsmith today to browse a little. Turns out they are really overstocked with used drivers taken as trade ins. Digging through all those expensive Callaways, Cobras, Titleists, Pings, etc. they're selling for $150 and up I found a Wilson Staff FG Tour, adjustable lofts, with decent stiff shaft. The club looks like it's barely been used. They took it in about four months ago and keep marking it down trying to make room for new trade-ins.

New, they're asking $380 for it. Used, it was $65, having been marked down each month since they took it in.  While I was looking at the clubs the young man working there was in the process of doing the July markdowns. It dropped to $52 while I was looking.

After hitting it a few times on their indoor range I decided to buy it. At the register they offered an additional discount for giving them my email and signing up to receive offers. The club wound up costing about $42 + tax.

Even better was that I used the prepaid card I got as a rebate offer from Pirelli for buying tires. I didn't have to shell out any cash.

Anyway, here's a link to it at the Wilson site. 

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/drivers/staff-fg-tour-f5-driver

It feels good to get lucky.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 3:35 AM

Good buy mate! Hope it's delivering on the courses, too!

But, you didn't get any change :(

Sometimes, when I return bottles to the grocery store to redeem the deposit I payed before (which is common here in Germany for beer and soda bottles) and I don't buy much, I get some money back. Then, the running gag is to promise not to spend it all on one night out! ;)

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 3:37 AM

Great story S! Good to see you again.

I had been using my 5 wood off the tee (IRL) for years because I always sliced with my driver. Last Fall I decided to purchase a new driver, 5 wood and hybrid from an online store (at incredibly low prices, they were last years models) and I have never hit longer and straighter drives in my life....all are Cleveland Blacks. I'm actually enjoying golf now more than I ever have before.

MC

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 3:47 AM

srellim234:

Indeed. A nice, positive, read for once in forum land.

There has just got to be some Scots blood coursing through your veins btw.

Happy hittin'!

:)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 7:03 AM

srellim234:

LOL. Good on you, bud, you deserve it.  I still remember the car fiasco a while back.  ;-)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 8:15 AM

Thanks, everyone.

alosso - No chance to try it on a course yet. I'll hit the range with it this weekend and try it out on a course next weekend.

We recycle a lot here as well. I usually wait to turn in the bottles and cans until I have enough for a tank of gas ($20) + the green fees for one at Tierra del Sol ($10) and treat my son to a round of golf since he can't really afford to play.

I did have enough left over on the rebate card to get a new air filter for the car, though, so I guess that's as good as getting change.

mrcaddie - Yes, there are some great deals out there on the net if you're looking in the right places. Those Clevelands are great clubs.

Wiger -  lol. I don't know about Scot's blood but I am definitely a bargain hunter.

Jim - Thanks. Things are finally going in the right direction. We just got back from a week in Denver visiting family. Four of us in the Prius from here in SoCal to Denver in 100* heat at 70-75mph, running around in the mountains, coming back at 75-80mph in 100* heat, averaged over 44 mpg. The car is comfortable and running well.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 9:17 PM

gottta luv a bargain...

nice fookin driver too !!!

Wiger got u pegged,,,,,,,

Serendipity spring to mind..;))

Andy

RSS