Sun, Jul 10 2016 7:42 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 1:37 AM

mkrizan86:

lee22sharon:
    1776 comes to mind!

And understandably, that's one of the reasons why guns are so embedded in your culture. But it shouldn't be either an excuse or an argument 240 years later. A lot has changed and evolced since then. We have electricity, for example. Should people still make their own candles?

+1 many keep thinking the english are still coming !

old fashioned or just southern stupid ?

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 1:49 AM

Our real enemies lie with in.

Our government no longer represents the populace, and hasn't for many elections

Our "vote" has ceased to mean anything.  MY NICKLE!

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 1:53 AM

mkrizan86:

lee22sharon:
    1776 comes to mind!

And understandably, that's one of the reasons why guns are so embedded in your culture. But it shouldn't be either an excuse or an argument 240 years later. A lot has changed and evolced since then. We have electricity, for example. Should people still make their own candles?

P.S.: We've been invaded and occupied by both, Germany and Italy in WW II. We've gone to the hills and forrests, stole guns and fought them off in the end with not much help from other nations. Then the war was over and we stopped carrying guns.

Your flag is that of the United Kingdom,  are you not from that country?

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 2:06 AM

lee22sharon:
    Your flag is that of the United Kingdom,  are you not from that country?

Just a left over from the times, we could change flags at will. I changed it to play in a tournament with flag restrictions and never bothered to change it back. I'm from one of the ex-Yugoslavian countries :-). I've been to England once (a week in London, a fun week though). A lot more people with flags different to their country of either origin or current location.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 2:13 AM

mkrizan86:

I'm from one of the ex-Yugoslavian countries :-). I've been to England once (a week in London, a fun week though). A lot more people with flags different to their country of either origin or current location.

Blimey, I'd never have guessed you weren't British from your posts.  Respect to you for your command of the language.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 2:32 AM

MainzMan:
    Blimey, I'd never have guessed you weren't British from your posts

Thank you ;-) Mostly down to watching way too much TV in my life. British comedy, when I was younger and ESPN America (a branch of the network, strictly for broadcasting in Europe) in later stages. Sadly, the latter stopped airing 3 years ago. I still miss Kornheiser and Wilbon, along with the rest of the sports and shows. 

All of the above is the reason, why my English is part King's and part colonies ;-)

P.S.: Mind you, your English is superb ;-)

P.P.S.: I'm about 300 miles south of Munich, so if you or any other reasonable person ever feels like a shortish drive to get a beer, just give me a shout ;-)

• STICKY63
    375 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 5:55 AM

To revert back to an old saying, "it's not the gun that kills, it's the person pulling the trigger." It would be wonderful if no one ever was killed. Wasn't there an incident within the last few years ago int the Netherlands area, where I believe guns are against the law, a man shot and killed a bench of people at a resort? Also, in an Asian country, i believe, a man went to a school an statred hacking children with a machete/sword? Guns are illegal there also. If guns were illegal, than another weapon would take it's place wheter it be a knife, baseball bat, lead pipe, or even a golf club.

Anything that happens in the US is broadcasted all around the world. Everything that happens in other places is not broadcasted around the world, so this puts the US under a microscope.

In South Africa, tribes are killing people and taking their children for slaves weekly. Thats where the real outrage should be!!!! But we hardly ever talk about that. My two cents, cuz I cant afford a nickel.

P.S. God Bless everyone

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 6:17 AM

STICKY63:

To revert back to an old saying, "it's not the gun that kills, it's the person pulling the trigger." It would be wonderful if no one ever was killed. Wasn't there an incident within the last few years ago int the Netherlands area, where I believe guns are against the law, a man shot and killed a bench of people at a resort? 

If you are referring to Breivik, it's Norway....and his victims were children.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 7:42 AM

Same old same old sadly......Same issues everywhere, save for one incomparable one.

Heart out to those that suffered.  Sadly the short march to the next time has started already, and even more sadly that's just the bit that's still big enough to headline.........

• PAGES
RSS