Forums

Help › Forums

wind direction & speed

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:54 PM (5 replies)
  • cassmacmatt
    36 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 1:49 PM

On St. Andrews are the wind speed and direction just there for decorative purposes?  They don't seem to mean much at all.  

Cass

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 2:45 PM

Everyone else seems to manage fine with wind speed and direction at the home of golf. 

You're (very obviously) doing it wrong. You have played it so many times but your scores are not improving. Maybe it's time you looked for some advice rather than blaming the game.

Just wondering, have you ever played a round on another course other than St. Andrews?

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:00 PM

I play all the courses (equally poorly). I will say that I notice the wind reading has a different impact on the ball depending on the course.

On one course, a 15 mph cross wind seems to have little impact, while on another, it really makes the ball sail off line.

ct

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:10 PM

ct690911:
    On one course, a 15 mph cross wind seems to have little impact, while on another, it really makes the ball sail off line.

All depends on the course, if a fairway is lined by trees on both sides then the wind will have a lot less effect than on one with no trees.

It amazes me how often some people get the wind wrong just because they haven't figured that out!

Not saying that's what's happening to you Colin, just getting it out there.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:23 PM

PaulTon:

ct690911:

All depends on the course, if a fairway is lined by trees on both sides then the wind will have a lot less effect than on one with no trees.

It amazes me how often some people get the wind wrong just because they haven't figured that out!

Not saying that's what's happening to you Colin, just getting it out there.

That certainly might be part of the problem, Paul...my work around is to play everything as a par 6...lol 

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:54 PM

Well to be fair the wind at St Andrews can throw up a few surprises. I think the course itself is pretty defenseless against the equipment we have so it's been tricked up a bit.

It's probably the only course on WGT where you still have to think about where you want to land your ball instead of just throwing darts at the pins, and all the better for it.

RSS