Help › Forums

is it this or...?

Sat, Sep 17 2016 3:24 PM (3 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2016 10:57 AM

Howzit

Post of no importance really...

A long time ago, I was the lead guitarist in a heavy metal band, called WarLord.

Our main achievement was being banned from the Worcester Town Hall in 1984.

It was an awesome gig, I burst out of a coffin at the beginning of the set, we had dry ice and I wore tight leather pants.

I played an Ibanez AR300 in those days - what a beautiful action! - way preferred it to my other guitar which was a 80 something Strat.

We played only original numbers, and when I took our demo cassette to the local music shop, Ragtime Records, the Main Dude there declared that we sounded like Budgie! HUGE compliment!

Band broke up, I moved on, and then I met my future wife.

I would walk across hot coals for her but...

She loves reggae.

So here I am...conflicted.

Is reggae as bad as I think it is?

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2016 1:27 PM

If I had to chose, I'd take Reggae, because I don't know Budgie.

But you had 30(?) years to contemplate, don't you think it's too late to ask random people?

It might also be a religious question, against the guidelines ;)

• craigswan
    31,552 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2016 1:44 PM

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2016 3:24 PM

Gees similar paths.......my first electric guitar was an Ibanez PF300, and soon afterwards found the love of my life.....at pre CBS Strat

I was in several bands playing rock/punk mostly originals with the odd cover thrown in.

Gigs were usually in dives that have invariably closed down, but nevertheless were fun playing. Probably closed for either sanitary or sanity reasons.....but fond memories.

The closest to a coffin we would have been was the derelicts that frequented those dives....

I knew I never had the talent to become the next Jimmy Page, or even someone who sounded like they could play...but was fun until I realised that I really needed to get a real job!

So sold all my kit to fund a career......

Still love music and a few years bought another electric guitar - I still suck but still enjoy pretending I can play.

Musical tastes have changed to like almost everything....including reggae but I still have trouble listening to country and some hip hop and commercial pop is on a no-go area  (a few exceptions) and can listen to Opera to Punk in the one day.

But one musical highlight was jamming with Madness in my London years who were not reggae but Ska....Best moment was jamming with Rory Gallagher.....respect for him!

Life would be a sorry state of affairs without music

RSS