Help › Forums

Hurricane Matthew

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 7 2016 4:28 PM (6 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 10:38 AM

Howzit everyone

Prayers and thoughts for everyone in this demon's path.

Stay safe, keep mobile phones at full charge while you can, keep your pets safe and obey law enforcement directives.

Thinking of you and watching with growing trepidation as it approaches Florida.

Peter

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 9:33 AM

Must be terrifying,    my thoughts and hopes go out to all involved.

My alt shot partner and friend Kissmydivot had to high tail it out of Beaufort SC.

He is really quite ill but luckily he managed to find a vacant motel room about 140 miles inland.

His situation is still very serious though, he doesn't know if the motel has wi-fi, so he might not get to play!!

• Shyoneclub
    62 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 9:50 AM

His situation is still very serious though, he doesn't know if the motel has wi-fi, so he might not get to play!!

Yeah, that would be absolutely terrible if he had to miss playing for a day

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 10:42 AM

I had the misfortune to be in American Samoa in 1991 when a Cat 4 tore through the area...stalling and lasting for 4 days. 65% of the homes on the island were destroyed and 80% of the crops. The power of nature is amazing. I saw 100 ft+ fishing boats being tossed around like plastic toys in a bathtub. I saw a 2 x 4 pierce one door of a car and exit through the other side. Things you "hear" about but don't actually believe until you see them. There was a hillside full of adult palm trees which looked like a carpet as all of them were layed down and covered the ground. I saw a corrugated tin roof fly through the air and cut a power pole in half. After about 5 minutes of novelty...being my first one, it quickly turned to fear and awe. There were no flights in for several days as the airport was damaged and the power and water were out for more than 2 weeks. I was fortunate enough to leave on one of the first few US military flights that came in.  A rather unfortunate side effect was the distaste I developed for the US Federal Emergency Management Agency. They came in when the airport opened and complained that the hotel was substandard (what was left of it) and that there was no air conditioning in the rooms...I had a huge WTF? moment. They spent days complaining about the conditions and seemed rather put out that they had to be there. I felt very badly for the wonderful people of American Samoa.

Anyway...useless personal experience rant over.....

Prayers to those in the path of the current threat to the south eastern coast of the US.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 12:01 PM

+1 Peter.

The devastation and loss of life to those in Haiti is upsetting so those in the path of this beast, please take care and listen to the warnings.

I have never seen the brute force of a Hurricane, but seen the savagery of a T10 Typhoon (hurricane strength) when Typhoon York hit Hong Kong. Severe but not to the same extent as these monsters.

York had wind speeds of 200kmh but caused minimal damage in comparison and only 2 deaths (one a windsurfer - what you say? and one person who slipped in the storm). Lots of trees, roofs and windows smashed. power outages and some flooding but nothing more serious.

The noise was horrendous though and my kids were pretty scared. But also memorable for someone I knew......they had a baby that night....yes they named him York lol.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 1:20 PM

Ducati916:
    Prayers to those in the path of the current threat to the south eastern coast of the US.

Those prayers are probably even more necessary when one considers that FEMA will be the folks tasked with swooping down on the affected areas, to "save" everyone...

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 4:28 PM

My daughter is currently serving as a missionary intern in Haiti. Thankfully, where they're at didn't see the devastation that the southern parts of the country experienced. My daughter actually made it through it all without too many problems. But we were very concerned for a while.

Prayers to those now having to deal with the hurricane.  

RSS