Forums

Help › Forums

The most realistic golf game--Correction.

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:46 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 11:12 AM

Played 18 holes in Daytona Beach earlier in the week. Drive on par 3 went into a small stream, walked down fairway retrieved my ball with a 9 iron, took penalty stroke, shot 4 and moved on, no lost ball.  Shot 18 today on a well known course in Atlanta, twice my ball went into deep weeds, took 30 to 45 seconds, found my ball, took penalty strokes and moved on, no lost balls. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is real golf. On WGT you do not get a chance to recover your ball, is this realistic? In the lake in real golf, ball gone no problem expect that here too. I would love to hear from any real golfers who do not take the time to look for their expensive balls when they are playing on a real course. the time to look is limited but you do get the chance, even the PGA pros get the chance. Should we not have the same opportunity here if this is realistic?

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 12:19 PM

Made a slight mistake at STA and sure enough ball in the weeds,  removed the side of my PC and no matter how hard i looked it was not there i could not find it.

These balls are expensive and i expect WGT to install a BALL CATCHER inside my PC, if not a Jack Russel would do. Ta

Some people..lol

Lucky

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 12:37 PM

There are definitely places (e.g. the burn on 1st at St Andrews) where the ball would NOT be lost.

I would make the following suggestion:
    If the ball is out of reach (e.g. some of the water hazards around Kiawah) then by all means it's a lost ball, no question.  However, in places where players can possibly or definitely find it, then maybe reduce the life of the ball by a percentage.

As an example, if the ball goes into the burn on STA #1 then reduce the ball life by 10% (that ball can pretty much always be retrieved).  If it goes into the gorse bushes on STA, reduce ball life by 50% - it's quite rare to find a ball in bushes that thick, but not impossible!  If the ball goes into the trees on BPB, reduce ball life by 20-50% depending on how deep it went.

Something to consider please WGT.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:12 PM

E.xcellent suugestions MIO, it's just not realistic to loose the ball everytime, reducing the life is a great  idea compared to just taking it away, I feel every player on here will concur with this. Could make the WGT bean counters heros with the masses. Maybe they will see this and listen or we can try to get the masses to all give WGT a nudge on this

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 12:18 AM

Please excuse me for interfering with you alls mini-rebellion, to look for and being able to retrieve "lost balls". I just have one question. How are you going to look for your ball?

Since when can our Avatar do anything but swing and and hit a ball? Can they open or close their stance for all shots? (not just flops) Can they swing inside out for a draw/hook, or outside in for a fade/slice? (and still hit the ding) Can they tee up a ball higher or lower? 

Oh and as far as setting a time limit for looking, I believe its 5min USGA rules. So if you are playing a multi-player game, the maximum shot timer is 90 sec's. What about 60/45/30 sec. timers?

Is it fair we cannot retrieve a "retrievable" ball? Of course not. But if I have a choice of a lost ball, or WGT installing an additional cpu usaging program, that would increase the percentage of meter spikes, I would prefer the former than the latter.......How about you?

• cruiser1
    74 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 12:39 AM

Well I will say this, they need to fix the edge of the fairway on # 14 at ST A. the one where you have to go left in a headwind cause you can't clear the trouble hitting straight. Watched my brand new callaway roll up and just about stop in a round but it trickled just over the invisible OB line in the fairway and took my ball. Complained to  WGT about it but his response was "well its a risk -reward shot, my a$$, yep it is and I  got screwed for hitting it in the fairway.    LMAO       THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED WGT

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 6:18 AM

oneputtdavid:

Please excuse me for interfering with you alls mini-rebellion, to look for and being able to retrieve "lost balls". I just have one question. How are you going to look for your ball?

Since when can our Avatar do anything but swing and and hit a ball? Can they open or close their stance for all shots? (not just flops) Can they swing inside out for a draw/hook, or outside in for a fade/slice? (and still hit the ding) Can they tee up a ball higher or lower? 

Oh and as far as setting a time limit for looking, I believe its 5min USGA rules. So if you are playing a multi-player game, the maximum shot timer is 90 sec's. What about 60/45/30 sec. timers?

Is it fair we cannot retrieve a "retrievable" ball? Of course not. But if I have a choice of a lost ball, or WGT installing an additional cpu usaging program, that would increase the percentage of meter spikes, I would prefer the former than the latter.......How about you?

As i said a ball catcher inside my PC installed by WGT. 

• craigswan
    31,545 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 7:01 AM

I remember frenchman jean van der velde at british open at carnoustie taking his socks and shoes off and wading into a burn to play a shot which could win him all the fame and glory of winning the open ,

Unfortunately he made a plonker of himself ,took a seven and handed win to paul lawrie of scotland .

That was over ten years ago and he has lived off his only ever win in a tournament until last month when he won again in quatar .No water involved in the desert this time .

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 9:04 AM

I remember that British Open Peter Allis was going nuts. 

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 9:17 AM

luckysump:
     ..As i said a ball catcher inside my PC installed by WGT. 

OK OK, I'll concede to a ball catcher! Only if its a Jack Russell...;)

• PAGES
RSS