Forums

Help › Forums

Clarity

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:43 PM (9 replies)
  • LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:00 AM

Following another experiment involving the malleus,incus and stapes,I just wondered if anyone else had found what I think I might have found.

It was during a wet afternoon,and so I think this would have to be factored into the equation since there is necessarily a deadening,or softening of sound under those circumstances.Or maybe it would be fair to say that sound can be repressed somewhat due to lower air pressure.

Well so anyway,I turned up the volume to maximum during a game right here on wgt and over 9 holes I discovered that the "Ding" sound has different properties according to which shot you are taking.

The one constant was that the after shock of each ding rose on the musical scale,and fell away sharply,which brought to mind a closing circle where the sound almost,but not quite,came back to the original starting point.This opened another chain of thought as to where the sound from the resultant gap had gone,or whether in fact this was relevant,but in any case for me,it leaves an unsatisfactory hole in the completeness of things.I mollified myself with the thought that one day,I would find all of the missing peices and all would again be well,and moreover,complete.

The main thrust of the experiment though,was to verify whether or not the dings were indeed different.

Drives were consistent with breve,whilst approach shots with irons were more of a minim>.

Wedge shots from the fairway were almost infinitesimally longer by roughly a half dot and putts by measurement were certainly a crotchet plus dot.

Thankfully no ding encountered throughout the 9 holes,at least to my perception were in the range of a Quasihemidemisemiquaver,which I am thankful for.

So,who else has noted this?

Lizzie xx

• craigswan
    31,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:56 AM

I want you to play with my ding-a-ling .

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:16 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Thankfully no ding encountered throughout the 9 holes,at least to my perception were in the range of a Quasihemidemisemiquaver,which I am thankful for.

Rumour has it that a ding in the range of a Quasihemidemisemiquaver can be most hazardous to one's hearing...

As such it may only be heard during a full moon over a full round of 18 holes... and even then only by legends and tour masters wearing wgt's specially approved 'Ding Muffs'

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:02 AM

Well thats hardly science is it?

As Mr Fulcrum would often say during double Physics.

(just between us,I think this may have been something to do with someone[no names no pack drill] having experimented with the water supply in the physics lab by introducing a heady mix of laxative and finely ground psilocybe cubensis)

The results from That experiment have never fully been analysed admittedly,but as experiments go,it would be true to say that Science CAN be fun after all.

Unfortunately for Mr Fulcrum,his notion that his pushbike was capable of speeds in excess of 45mph were to prove unfounded,as was his belief(at the time) that his own body mass was not only able to defy gravity,but allowed unaided flight merely by performing a series of rather authentic duck quacks.Our conclusions following the assembly dedicated to road safety,and involving Mr Fulcrums ill fated attempt at "running the lights" as he later put it,were to agree entirely with that of our esteemed headmistress.The many minutes of amateur mobile phone footage of his gallant attempt were to prove quite a few minutes of unbridled hilarity in the weeks to come.Way to go Mr Fulcrum.

There was a little downside to this episode,at least for those students dilligent upon their Physics A level studies, in that water,and thus its many applications,was temporarily suspended in the entire science block,while pipework was inspected,repaired and eventually renewed.Personally I would have thought it easier to have had the grounds staff clear the mushroom crop on the lacrosse pitch daily,to take away any temptation,but I wasn't asked,and so experiments of this kind,although never quite as sucessful,carried on unabated.

Lizzie xx

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:03 AM

LizzieRossetti:

The main thrust of the experiment though,was to verify whether or not the dings were indeed different.

Drives were consistent with breve,whilst approach shots with irons were more of a minim>.

Wedge shots from the fairway were almost infinitesimally longer by roughly a half dot and putts by measurement were certainly a crotchet plus dot.

Ah Lizzie!  I've seen no better definition of the quality known as "dingy-ness"

Thank You so much!

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:10 AM

AndyAwe!

My repeat function has a malfunction because a Mr Man keeps saying Dingy over and over repeat and all my software combined is unable to break him down into manageable parts so I have no alternative but to get changed incase it has something to with my attire.I will however,get those tents out to dry three days early.

Lizzie xx

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:44 PM

WELL, I TURNED UP THE VOLUME TO MAX AND IT DAMN NEAR BURST MY EARDRUMS.  CAN'T HEAR A THING AT THE MOMENT.  BUT THERE IS A SILVER LINING - I CAN'T HEAR WHEN I MISS THE DING EITHER!

I THINK THE DING IS THE SAME NOTE AS THE ONE ON MY MICROWAVE, ONLY WGT'S IS AN OCTAVE LOWER.

ANYWAY, GOT TO GET BACK TO FIXING MY TV AND TELEPHONE; THE VOLUME SEEMS TO HAVE GONE ON BOTH OF THEM.  VERY STRANGE.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:51 PM

I'M IN ARTILLERY.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:56 PM

I just realised that my post count is less than yours Mio by 51%,which if applied to a wgt meter would equate to just over halfway and would result in a lacklustre shot unless the wind was a behindwind which is to say the opposite of a ahead wind.Then it might bimble happily to the pin,but it wouldnt go in due to the inescapable fact that going in requires legend status and a the shade of a bower in springtime.

My two cents.

Lizzie xx

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:43 PM

LizzieRossetti:

I'M IN ARTILLERY.

LizzieRossetti:
    I just realised that my post count is less than yours Mio by 51%

THAT'S BECAUSE I'VE GOT 51% MORE TIME ON MY HANDS THAN YOU HAVE.

HEY!  I CAN HEAR AGAIN.  SO YOU CAN STOP SHOUTING.

RSS