Help › Forums

Celebrating Five Years On WGT!

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jan 22 2017 8:48 PM (30 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 5:07 PM

pmm711:
    "Two stipulations." is not a complete sentence as it lacks a verb.

Actually, that one is not as clear as a person might think. It could be argued that it is an imperative with both the subject and the verb being implied. On that one, I would probably give a person a pass.

By the way, for the plural of forum, I prefer fora. 😀

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 5:33 PM

Sorry that it took me so long to respond to the thread but you see I cant read in the day time , I went to night school . Congratulations on the big 5 I celebrated mine back in June and now 6 is just a few months off . Time flies when you`re having fun . :-)

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 5:43 PM

Robert1893:

Dougie4042:
     I know, I know, I'm being silly, but some of you regulars in these here Forms need to seriously repeat grammar school.  ;-)

First, the word "Forms" should not be capitalized. And second, the word should not be "Forms."

😀

And as a bonus: do you write "these here" as opposed to "those there"?

Robert,

1) Since he put "Forms" in quotes it was OK to capitalize the word as it is capitalized at the top of this page under the "all caps" FORUMS.

2) His use of "these here" is actually acceptable from a grammar standpoint. 

3) "Two stipulations."  It's a tough call, but I see your point.

I just love the irony of all this.

Paul

P.S.  And personally...I prefer the non grammatically correct chit on here.  To hell with proper grammar.

• fmagnets
    3,640 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:06 PM

Dougie4042:

need to seriously repeat

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the split infinitive until now.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:15 PM

Congrats Dougie

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:18 PM

@pmm711

On the capitalization, we'll just have to disagree. Besides, going by the argument of putting it in quotation marks, then he should have used all caps. Nevertheless, simply because it is in all caps or even capitalized as a title, that doesn't hold that it needs to be capitalized when used in a sentence. In my opinion, people overuse capitalization. I see it all the time. They also overuse quotation marks. But I let that one go. :-) 

With respect to the use of "these here," the phraseology strikes me as redundant. Granted, that's technically not a violation of grammatical rules. Nevertheless, when people take others to task for spelling and grammar, then they should strive for better writing themselves. :-)

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:21 PM

fmagnets:

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the split infinitive until now.

The split infinitive is a myth. Granted, it's a myth that refuses to die. But it is a myth, nonetheless. 

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:39 PM

Youse guys is is surely yankin' my chain ( in a purely grammatical manner ).I'll be gol' durned iffin' i can make any sense of the nomeclature bein' used here', an' I gots me a txzdave decoder ring.  Whathoozit, carry on.

Doc :)

• craigswan
    31,550 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 2:52 AM

Dougie - just to be clear .

Is your opening post in english or american .

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 3:05 AM

Def Leppard.

RSS