Forums

Help › Forums

We lost a legend today - Joost van der Westhuizen

Mon, Feb 6 2017 2:48 PM (3 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2017 8:07 AM

Joost van der Westhuizen

Arguably the best scrumhalf the world has ever seen.

He lost his 7 year battle to Motor Neuron Disease this morning.

I will never forget his epic take down of the human tank, AKA Jonah Lomu in the 1995 Rugby World Cup final, which we won

A true legend

RIP

• ScottHope
    10,351 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2017 2:00 PM

I don't follow rugby but to be struck down with MND at just 40 years of age when you've been an active sportsman must be very hard to understand.

R.I.P. Joost.  : (

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2017 2:36 PM

Yes very sad - he was a genius at reading the game and had a huge impact on whichever team he was playing on - plus he had tremendous skills to back up his play...

Played in the golden years of Springbok rugby and definitely goes down as one of the greats in Rugby Union.

Joost, carry on breaking that advantage line and finding the gaps in the defense, wherever you end up......

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2017 2:48 PM

I was going to PM you Peter, as I saw this sad news on the news this morning,

Truly a great of the game - possibly the best scrum half in the history of the game and he had that never say die attitude.

Sadly was a thorn in the Wallabies side numerous times......now the Wallabies are a thorn in my side.....but that is another story, the demise and demise of.......

Sadly this terrible disease (I have seen it first hand) won, but not without an almighty fight.

I bet he will be confronted at the pearly gates by Jonah Lomu....saying how the heck could you tackle me.....

RIP....a very sad day.

RSS