WGT It's OK

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 6 2017 1:47 AM (29 replies)
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Mar 3 2017 11:36 PM

pdb1:

phred952:
    it never went so far that it couldn't recover, until that last few days or so.

I happen to think that the Honest thread had wandered even further several times . 

phred952:
    We all know (or should know) the rules as to what subject matter is off limits.  There are other places available where those ideas can be expressed.  WGT makes it clear this is not one of them.  Just something to think about next time.

They do not make it clear . I have seen deplorable personal attacks on individuals that went on for some time and some times no action at all . 

Then Colin stands up to a couple of bullies and they moderate Colin . Where is the rhyme or reason in either of those scenarios . 

I do not think they make it clear at all . I still think it was a big mistake to handle the Honest thread the way they did . Arbitrary use of selective power . Could have deleted the very few offensive posts . Would have stopped the topic and the legendary thread would continue . 

I don't buy the " All good things must come to an end " . Not in 4 short years . That thread still had years and hundreds of GR8 stories ahead . 

I call it a travesty of justice . That is my opinion .

I stand by my comment that WGT does make it clear in the Posting Guidelines that some topics are off limits:

"POLITICS OR POLITICAL TOPICS Do not post anything that is, or could be, construed to be: • directly discussing, or alluding to politics, past or present • directly discussing, or alluding to political events, past or present WGT has a zero tolerance policy for the topic of politics on the forums."

They have been quick to respond when political subjects are discussed.  Once that happened in the "To Be Honest" original thread, no one should have been surprised that it was locked.  I actually expected it to be deleted instead.

FWIW, I fully agree that Colin was was not treated fairly.  The trolls appeared to also violate the rules, but nothing happened to them, that time.  The mods allow some leeway as we all know.  That's a good thing, up to a point.  

Deciding how far to let someone go before stopping personal comments can't be easy, unless the comment is so blatant as to be obvious to everyone.  Most of us respond to crazy statements about the game with humorous comments.  But a few are quick to be more direct and to the point.  The mods allow both, up to a point. 

The mods walk a fine line in what they allow, and I think they do it very well for the most part.  One thing that separates adults and children is accepting that life isn't fair.  Colin accepted his "time out" with grace and dignity, even though it wasn't fair.  I admire him for that.

phred952

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sat, Mar 4 2017 11:45 PM

pdb1:

phred952:
    I stand by my comment that WGT does make it clear in the Posting Guidelines that some topics are off limits:

Fine . But all forums have Terms and Conditions . 

But do they abide by their own guidelines . Most do practice what they preach . 

I still feel that WGT has consciously made efforts to not draw those lines and have been extremely lenient . With the exception of the political topics . All of us know that and knew that . It was our dumb asses that posted with out caring . Because none of can say we did it with out thinking . 

WGT handled it the way they did . Who knows why . We will never know why . 

phred952:
     One thing that separates adults and children is accepting that life isn't fair.

That is more true for matters that that out of the hands of people . A done deal or fate or a terrible accident .

In the case of Colin . In case you hadn't heard . I apologize Colin . Has been informed that he is on moderation for life . Are you kidding me ? 

Matters of this sort . Don't have to be a done deal . There is the possibility of an appeal . A possibility   Maybe that a bad decision could be overturned . 

Generally there is some sort of litigation board . That is above the level of admin that made this decision . 

One would have to write a letter . Requesting litigation . Explaining that you have the sincerest apologies for the incident . That the lesson had been learned . That there isn't any chance that you would ever repeat or violate the T & C again . That you humbly ask for their forgiveness . And respectfully ask that the punishment , ban or moderation be lifted . 

I did not make this up BTW . I know this from personal experience .

Some decisions they probably won't budge on . But others may be worth a shot . 

IMSO . 

I seem to have become the poster child for the issue of arbitrary decision making. While there are obvious cases for moderation or banning..ie, overtly racist comments; many of the decisions have nothing to do with the T&Cs...and everything to do with personal likes//dislikes by the mods. This is why things that should be banned aren't, while other topics and posters get way over the top hammered.

Arbitrary application of the T&Cs and no recourse available. No other business model runs like this outside of North Korea.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 9:49 AM

My comments were meant only in the context of discussing politics.  Nothing else.  I am sorry that Colin has been singled out.  He is my friend also.  Sadly it appears to completely confirm that:

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton

My comment about life being unfair was in no way related to what has happened to Colin.  I would hope that some of the possible remedies listed can be used to alleviate what has happened to him.
    How his situation has been handled proves that Orwell was correct.  Reread "Animal Farm" if you disagree with me or forgotten to what I am referring..

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 3:37 PM

"HOE DEE DOE" 

2 items of clarification need rendering from sunshine, on my behalf. ;-)

pdb1:
    . All of us know that and knew that . It was our dumb asses that posted with out caring . Because none of can say we did it with out thinking . 

1 - I only replied to Sunshine's comment, about being ASHAMED... I had no civic "Double Think" (1984).I had a vile response to an imprudent statement. We worked it out.

2 -

phred952:
     Reread "Animal Farm" if you disagree with me or forgotten

Phred, this is hilarious, that you think the majority of posters, read Orwell's Animal Farm. You give a lot of credit to your fellow man brother. LMFAO!

1984 is more apropos for Ct, in the colloquial  “the place where there is no darkness”, is not in reality a good place, as thought. It turns to fatalism, with false hope, as the place where there is no darkness, turns out to be not a paradise, but a prison cell.

Just sayin

Creeping Leaves

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 4:05 PM

I believe the Mods at WGT got my drift. I have no issues or any problems to discuss further. We can really let this thread die and move on to more important issues. Play some golf and have some fun.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 4:08 PM

gonfission:
    read Orwell's Animal Farm.

Just as an aside.....the best stage production I have seen is by a Singaporean theatre company. Wild Rice.

More remarkable due to the politics....where politics is never spoken.....like WGT....those who disagree end up in the sin bin lol.

Brilliantly funny and directed by a great person, Ivan. They cross so many lines but got away with moderation as Lee Kwan Yew's wife was a supporter of the company......

And I am not affiliated in any way with them.

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 4:38 PM

alanti:
    . Wild Rice.

Is it online Alanti?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 5 2017 5:29 PM

Nope - but I have never looked - it might be on YouTube somewhere,  but they do tour various countries, but the humor is based on Singapore and the follies of the place - so I am not sure how this may translate, or they change it for the local audience.

They do have a web site - just Google Wild Rice Singapore and I am sure it will come up.

I have seen quite a few productions including Boeing Boeing......again with a Singaporean twist.....

RSS