Forums

Help › Forums

Do you follow the bar or the stare at the white "ideal shot" line?

Mon, Jan 23 2012 5:11 AM (39 replies)
  • StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:00 AM

YankeeJim:
    I look for it in the peripheral vision.

I agree with YJ on this.

Also, if I am having trouble concentrating...believe it or not, caffiene helps me. I don't sit there and miss the ding to the right so much. Too much caffiene and ya might hit early though...lol.

Sometimes jerking like I've been electrocuted and yelling like I have Tourette's Syndrome helps but tends to scare my Rottweiler and piss my wife off.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:31 AM

sixkiller:

Don't laugh, I use  a breathing technique i learned in sniper school, full back swing, deep breath, release swing, exhale with the meter to ding. Works for me!

If I did that with Beginner clubs I'd go blue before the meter reached the ding!  And the i15's (not that have them), I'd need to go do some hard exercise first!

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:33 AM

Hey SM, where have you been?  Long time no see and whatnot.  Still marooned on that desert island with those Victoria Secrets models?

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:56 AM

Hi Mio,

Nah...I'm OK.

This is the message I left on my profile page:

To my friends...not playing much, my daughter is due this week with our 2nd grandchild. Then we plan a short vacation trip...see you soon. Hit em straight!

I get on at work and read the forums...can't really play at work cuz I never know when I'll get a call and whatnot.

SM

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 7:16 AM

Koan of the day:

"Do you follow the bar or stare at the white 'ideal shot' line?"

• gofbals
    178 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 11:54 AM

zagraniczniak:

Koan of the day:

"Do you follow the bar or stare at the white 'ideal shot' line?"

Watch the movement with the left eye.Focus your right eye on the center line.Just b4 your eyes cross hit the dam mouse with a hammer.Works everytime.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:32 PM

I use Yancy's dangle meter and whatnots. Take it all the way back holler fore ( scares the cat ) let er go wait a bit jab the mouse scream whatnots. Works most of the time....:-))

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:18 PM

I will put my method in here as well. your gonna think it is weird but it works for me. I took the stare at the ideal line and one of yancy's thinga ma bob gagets an applied it to my swing. I put a thin piece of cardboard over my meter that only reveals the top third or so of my meter and covers up the rest of the meter and only leaves about the last 3/8 to 1/2 inch (never measured it) before the ding line. So i never see any skips or stutters when i do get them. It is kinda like the christmas tree lights that start off a drag race. I only see the last light and im on the throttle so to speak. Dont laugh, it works lol and just to add to this...this method only works with the same swing speed clubs. If you change balls just slide the cardboard to a different spot for your reaction time.

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:23 PM

When I'm in 'the zone', I don't have any 'swing thoughts'.. When I start missin the line, I try to pick up the bar with my left eye at the very second the line starts moving and continue to follow it till it get's close to the dinger..

Of course, there is no accounting for that occassional spasm I get , resulting in missing the bar about 3/4 of an inch to the left...

:/

--bear

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:47 PM

Good of TT to raise this whole topic.

I'd say it depends on the type of shot. If it is a putt with the slow Daytona, I'll follow the bar all the way over.

Same with a partial shot, which is in fact the hardest shot on this game but crucial sometimes to get the ball close. (BPB 17, usually, for some reason.)

Otherwise, if it is a full stroke, especially with the uniform meter speed across the main clubs (G10s and Ping wedges, for example), playing a pretty quick ball, I'll follow the bar about halfway and then switch my eye over to the line. This ultimately relies on instinct and habit of dealing with a uniform meter speed. Substituting slower balls, which should in theory be easier, wreaks havoc with this system.

The only 'swing thought' for me is a sense of which side I should miss on if I do end up missing the ding. 

RSS