Forums

Help › Forums

trouble putting

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 19 2011 4:58 AM (7 replies)
  • MacBondi
    3 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 5:16 AM

I am having a lot of trouble putting. If hitting uphill I compensate on the meter a little and the shot flies past the hole. Faced with a similar shot I don't compensate at all and the ball doesn't make the distance. Same story in reverse for downhill shots. How can I judge the meter more accurately?

• PayneStewart83
    1 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 4:26 PM

I'm having the same problem. They sure have that putting meter out of wack. Creator might have to take another physics class.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 4:37 PM

hi,

I noticed you both have an intro putter. Those designed to be introductory, therefore are not very precise. You will find that higher level putters are much much more to the tune that what you could come to expect from a real life putter.

-wgticon

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 5:34 PM

But I love my beginner! :-(

Lizzie xx

• oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 11:49 PM

When I started here my putting was awful, but now it is still bad but only on the faster greens.

I've just played Bethpage and they were 'standard' and my putting was extremely reliable and consistent - no 3 putts and the 2nd putt was always inches away not feet or yards. So I guess WGTicon is right in that the tolerance on the intro putters is not too good, expecially in terms of judging distance on uphll/downhill putts

I asked a 'master' about the quality putters available and he said they definitely have more feel and you can get much more control.

Nothing worse than good tee to green play ruined by horrible putting.

It will be my first upgrade when appropiate.

A bad workman always blames his tools but maybe here that isn't true.

• gene1022
    112 Posts
    Thu, May 19 2011 12:07 AM

I would also suggest that you take a look at the putting tips in the forums. They helped me a great deal when I first started.

• casperturk
    484 Posts
    Thu, May 19 2011 3:28 AM

LizzieRossetti:

But I love my beginner! :-(

Lizzie xx

Got to agree. Bought the Redwood but  just kept struggling with hitting the 'ding'. Went back to the beginner, Now i can hit  the 'ding' nearly everytime and am actually starting to learn the breaks.

• eligolfer
    87 Posts
    Thu, May 19 2011 4:58 AM

MacBondi:

I am having a lot of trouble putting. If hitting uphill I compensate on the meter a little and the shot flies past the hole. Faced with a similar shot I don't compensate at all and the ball doesn't make the distance. Same story in reverse for downhill shots. How can I judge the meter more accurately?

Have you looked at the green speed? Because it varies a lot if you play on slow, average, fast etc.. I have found that fast or average greens is the one to play on if you want to get it as long as the meter says. 

RSS