Forums

Help › Forums

Average saturation

Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:12 PM (33 replies)
  • genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 3:45 PM

Hi,

we all know that after having played a given number of scored/ranked stroke games, the average is computed only with the best games/results. So beyond this number of games, the average can only decrease. These numbers depend on tiers and are rather low up to tour master (I will not repeat those numbers here, but they are known).

I am wondering if someone knows what is this required number of games for legend tier?

This is not that important to know this number (average is not really crucial) but I played 251 ranked/scored stroke games up to now (in legend tier) and my average is still computed with all the games I played.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 12:50 PM

No one?

I already played 272 ranked game in legend tier and still no saturation. It could be 300 if not I guess it will be 500 (my god 10 times more than tour master :) ).

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 1:07 PM

ask Wes or Lj   ,,

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 1:07 PM

I think you might be waiting a while.....from what I understand, there isn't a saturation point in the legend tier.

Shoot well, average go down.  Shoot not well, average go up.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 3:21 PM

This I don't believe. I have a counter example in our CC. When he shots a score like 34 (well above his average which is around 62), it's seems to me that his average doesn't increase, but I will have a closer look at this and post here when I am sure.

Moreover if it was true, you would not see average like 57-58 even among the best players in my opinion. They are not shooting 57 - 58 all the time. And if you pay a bit attention, you will notice that the average of the best players (which are players who play a lot, so they have probably reach the "saturation" regime) is always decreasing. (but I would be happy to be corrected on this last statement if I am wrong).

Thanks for your answer,

Regards.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 7:04 PM

This is from the FAQ:

FAQ:

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 8:01 PM

TheLighterDark:

This is from the FAQ:

FAQ:

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.

This holds for sure on Tiers below Legend, and we know that it takes effect after a certain number of rounds, but, I wonder if Legend tier just keeps rolling? Or is the numbers of rounds to complete something a 1000 or so.?'

Anyways, I really hope Legend tier just tracks ALL games...to make a good reflection on you're worth.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 10:44 PM

TheLighterDark:

This is from the FAQ:

Thanks LighterDark. This is another indication that indeed only the best games are taken into account. Now the question is how much of them. Will post here once I know. If this is 1000, don't expect a post before few months :) .

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 10:48 PM

MBaggese:

Anyways, I really hope Legend tier just tracks ALL games...to make a good reflection on you're worth.

It doesn't track all scores, your average just keeps falling. On the day the Legend tier came into play my average was 66. Every score I posted below that saw the average fall in increments of 0.1/0.2/0.3 etc. No scores posted above the average had an effect. This now means my average is 60.63 at the time of typing this. Ridiculous as I would say in reality it is more like 63.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2011 11:14 PM

MBaggese:

This holds for sure on Tiers below Legend, and we know that it takes effect after a certain number of rounds, but, I wonder if Legend tier just keeps rolling? Or is the numbers of rounds to complete something a 1000 or so.?'

Thanks for your answer.

In my opinion, taking all games into account is not necessarily the best way to get an average which reflect your actual level of play. But taking only the best games is not the best way neither because at some point your average can only decrease even if you are no longer playing so well. 

Actually, taking only the best games is a good way to fight against sandbagging, and I guess this is why this system was introduced (and also to make people moving up to buy new equipment :) ). Because at some point your average can only decrease and you will move up (if you play ranked stroke games :) ). So I do not see any problem with this system for any tiers except legend tier where sandbagging do not exist by definition and thus another system can be introduced.

I think a good compromise, for legend tier only, would be to take into account only the last games you played, don't know something like the last 100 or 200 games. Like this your average reflects your level of play over a restricted interval of time which will be closer to your present level of play. For example, my average is 63.56 over 273 games because, as everyone I guess, I struggled at the beginning when I moved up to legend tier. But my average using my last 100 games is 61.57, which is significantly lower and reflects better the scores I am posting now. If all games are taken into account I can estimate that it will take me, at best, another 150-200 games to drop my actual average (63.56) to a value around 61.57. 

Regards

RSS