Forums

Help › Forums

Average saturation

Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:12 PM (33 replies)
  • ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2011 12:36 PM

mohuyu:

The magic number does exist, I progressed to to legend tier in January and my average stopped going up towards the end of last month. I was keeping track of it but lost interest in eventually, I think its around 400.

Thanks for that info, mohuyu.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:00 AM

As promised, I am posting this (not too crucial) information about average.

The number of game needed to be played as legend before only best games are taken into account IS 400 as guessed by Mohuyu from his own experience.

Indeed, I have played now 401 ranked rounds in legend tier and my average is 62.45. My average computed with all those 401 rounds would be 62.47 while it is indeed 62.45 if I take only the 400 best ones.

Regards

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:15 AM

Interesting fact finding, G with help from Mo. Now I have a question...wouldn't it make more sense for the average to constantly fluctuate? I'm not sure I understand why your average gets to the point it won't change, at least in the Legend tier. I get it for the other tiers and the sandbagging thing but at the Legend level I imagine most players will go through ups and downs and an accurate average would show you this. IDK

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:36 AM

I don't know why averages are even computed once you get to legend. Mine is 59.41 just now and the last 10 days I'm lucky if I got 1 in 5 ranked rounds at 30 or under. My average is much like my game right now, a total f-in joke...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:38 AM

LOL-a perfect example, Tiffer. Now's the time to get you in a MPC but only you know you're in a down mode. :-D

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:47 AM

As a newly minted Master (AAARRRGGGHHH) I find my average being like a yo-yo, may not be much but it still does. I really have no idea how many stroke rounds I have played as one, but that original spike was 7 strokes. Dont remember it doing that going from pro to tour pro.

ill go back and count them if they are still in my stats

-G 

edit: only have 34 master rounds so id guess its a lot more rounds than that. will keep on plugging away at this fun yet silly game

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:02 AM

I totally agree Jim. Indeed, once you have played 400 games, the average can no longer increase. This is why we see players with 57-58 as average (and at some point most legends will get this kind of average, it will just take more time for some of them). 

Taking into account all games is not good either. Indeed, average should give an idea of the actual level of play of a player. When one reach legend, it is likely that he/she will struggle for a while (it took me 100-150 rounds to start to post good scores and 200-250 rounds to post good scores on a regular basis). So the rounds you played at the beginning are not representative of your skill 200-300 rounds later (my average is 62.45 while my average over my last 100 games is 60.04 today).

So it seems to me that a good compromise would be to use the last 100 games played (only for legend, for other tiers, the system used up to now is not bad to avoid too much sandbagging). 100 games is a big number enough to get an average which makes sense and using the 100 last one means that the average can really fluctuate (going up and down). 

Regards

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:05 AM

gsoup:

edit: only have 34 master rounds so id guess its a lot more rounds than that. will keep on plugging away at this fun yet silly game

For Master it's 40 ranked rounds, beyond that number only best games are taken into account and your average can no longer increase.

Regards.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 10:52 AM

genorb:
    100 games is a big number enough to get an average which makes sense and using the 100 last one means that the average can really fluctuate (going up and down). 

+1

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 2:57 PM

genorb:
    40 ranked rounds

hurrah

ty

-G

RSS