Help › Forums

Swing Meter ?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 2 2016 2:08 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Foss
    15 Posts
    Sun, Dec 14 2008 6:55 PM

Needs a lot of work. Shot to shot consistency is not very good.

The old links game had the best I've seen.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Dec 14 2008 7:54 PM

The swing meter works perfectly fine. You are using a beginner set of clubs that compromise both your distance and accuracy.  New clubs are coming soon.

• mentalhandicap
    7 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2008 10:46 AM

so......the meter should be disregarded?  That's weak.  I go up a club with wind at back,  or no wind, and the yardage for the club I choose is still more than I need.  I hit it perfectly and come up short,  each time.  If an iron shows,  ie: 70yds, and the pin is 70yds,  then if one hits it perfect,  it should hit the green at 70yds.    

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2008 2:31 PM

mentalhandicap:
    If an iron shows,  ie: 70yds, and the pin is 70yds,  then if one hits it perfect,  it should hit the green at 70yds.

No, it shouldn't. Not in a real golf simulation like this.  Your expectations, like some other folks are unrealistic.  Real golf does not play like Tiger Woods on your XBox or PC where you're stiffing approaches, shooting in the 40's or 50's and birdie is the new par.  This game plays like real golf and thus, real golf nuances are present.

They only offer the beginner clubs now because the game is in Beta.  These clubs are designed to cause inaccuracies because right now the game is simulating a beginner golfer with his set of unfitted Walmart clubs. Once it's out of beta they'll offer more clubs with better accuracy and distance.

Keep in mind that you're playing the demo right now, not the full game.

• valcor129
    2 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:19 AM

how do i get the good clubs how do i get out of betta

• beamer750
    38 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:52 AM

you dont and you cant...we all leave together

• mentalhandicap
    7 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2008 2:16 PM

I can appreciate the fact it's in "beta" mode,  but, I started real golf with a beater set and quickly found out my yardage,  which was pretty standard, ie" 100yds+ wPW,  130+ w/9,  150+ w/7,  200 w/4

To simulate real golf,  and hit the swing meter "perfect",  yardage should be what is stated.  My neighbor,  a pro,  can hit 200yds all day long, and straight,  with a shovel.  Yes,  a shovel.   Equipment should not matter it the swing is "perfect".  Clubs have come a long way,  but still,  better players still use "blades" and they are considerably trickier to hit,  like some beaters.  So its should be a "wash".  Clubs should not make such a big difference.   

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:08 PM

I have to agree with mentalhandicap here.  The amount of variance on this club set is so severe that it supasses reality into the surreal.  Honestly, if I ever had a set of clubs that had this much variance left to right, and this much distance variance, I would throw them away.  I am a horrible golfer in real life, but I can tell you that with a decent swing, my 7 iron will go 150yds.  I have a club set that is about 25 yrs old, with no grooves left in them for spin control, and they are about 3 inches too short for me, yet I know exactly how far that 7 iron goes when I hit it correctly.  Even a brand new set of clubs at WalMart are better than the ones I have now.

I can appreciate that WGT is trying to have a starting point for the clubset, and as we proceed up the ladder, better clubs can be bought with more control etc.  I am simply saying that the unique part of the WGT experience is the realism involved, and this clubset is so not real that it detracts from what is otherwise a gorgeous experience.  A perfect shot should be a perfect shot, whether using top of the line clubs or a baseball bat.

I agree that there sould be some variance in the lower tiered clubs, just not as much as there is currently.   We've all had those drives that go 200 yards with a driver that is rated 225 yds with a tail wind on a  'perfect shot'.  My reply to this is:  Not possible.  LIke mentalhandicap pointed out, you can have more distance control with a shovel.  So lets put a little more realism back into the clubset, and adjust the difficulty on the course with things that really do affect the golf ball, like the wind strength/direction, and/or the ground conditions.  I think you'll find a much more dynamic playing envirionment, and much less griping about equipment.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2008 11:47 PM

tibbets, you make fine points as usual and I wholeheartedly agree with you about the need for the inclusion of ground variation.  It seems like it'd only need one additional calculation, a dynamic ball graphic and/or the addition of a show grid command.  Throw some weather in there while you're at it. :D

However, I do want to point out there that in real life there are a lot more intricacies to your golf swing then timing a bar to stop on a white line.  It's impossible to re-create those subtleties in a simple 3-click swing that can mastered quite quickly without the need for making the bar do such nonsense as stopping, starting or varying speed during the swing.  Thus I believe their representation within the equipment is correct.  Also consider there's no way at this time to make our characters better, which in the future may also be a way to reduce variance aside from new clubs.

The single-play tournament scores are probably the best example that it's just about perfect the way it is now.  Look at the winning scores in the amateur tier; 30's, 31's & 32's.  That's a range of 60 to 64 and that's a winning round any given sunday on the PGA Tour.  In my opinion, those scores are right on if not a little lower than they should be.  If you lessen the variance, those winning scores start dropping down into the 50's consistently and the slide from realism begins.  In a way I'm almost frightened to see the winning scores when better clubs are released though, I suppose they will be counter-balanced by even tougher tee-box locations.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2008 7:17 AM

I understand your points and concerns.  If we want scores more representative of reality however, all we really need do is boost the wind up to the speeds it normally blows on Kiawah.  Trust me, even the best players will have difficulty with a 12mph+  crosswind. :)

• PAGES
RSS